Monday, January 28, 2013

A cold winter’s day

I am writing this from the comfort of my favorite seat in the house on a cold winter morning as ice falls outside. The schools have all been closed, which means I don’t have to work. The weather will clear up soon and the roads will be fine but for now, I feel snug and warm.


DSC_7263 copy 2

Hot coffee and cold winter mornings are two of the best soul mates who ever did find each other. 

~Terri Guillemets




DSC_7254 copy 2


The frost on the storm windows, taken yesterday morning when the sun rose. I couldn't have gotten the same photo this morning, as there was no sun.

The frost is there, however.

I am blessed to be one of those people who loves wintertime. I’m sure that as I age, I may come to loathe it but I love days like this, for without winter and without longing, the spring would be so much less sweet. At least, that’s how I feel anyway.

I’m taking George to the vet this afternoon. The wee bump that I mentioned the other day has turned into a much larger lump on the side of his face, the white side. It’s probably an abscess but my husband is rather obsessing over it so I’m taking him to the vet today. Not my husband, mind you. The dog.

Downton Abbey last night. Oh, my Lord. I will not say anything more because I won’t spoil it for anyone. But I sat here and bawled.

I went to my niece’s baby shower over the weekend and took lots of photos. At first, I was so dismayed with them. The home where it was held is in Federal Hill, a beautiful and historic section of Baltimore, but the houses are long and narrow. This means that the light comes only from the front and the back of the house and the living room is in the middle. So I had to use the in-camera flash. I really need a better one, but I’m pleased with how the photos are after some edits.



DSC_7158 copy 2

My beautiful niece, Kim. I have many nieces ~ they are all beautiful ~ but this is the first one who is going to have a baby. And I’m so glad. Especially after all that has been so sad.

We had an event at our school yesterday which required most of the faculty and staff to be present, so today is rather a gift. I plan on getting some things done around the house, editing the remainder of the baby shower photos, doing a little grocery shopping once the roads get better, and of course – taking George to the vet.

I spent the morning reading and have finished my book.



DSC_7267 copy 2

I loved this one. I love literature, and gothic tales of mystery, and this story-within-a-story was magically written. I will not do a book review here but the following is from the cover:

Reclusive author Vida Winter, famous for her collection of twelve enchanting stories, has spent the past six decades penning a series of alternate lives for herself. Now old and ailing, she is ready to reveal the truth about her extraordinary existence and the violent and tragic past she has kept secret for so long. Calling on Margaret Lea, a young biographer troubled by her own painful history, Vida disinters the life she meant to bury for good. Margaret is mesmerized by the author’s tale of gothic strangeness – featuring the beautiful and willful Isabelle, the feral twins Adeline and Emmeline, a ghost, a governess, a topiary garden and a devastating fire. Together, Margaret and Vida confront the ghosts that have haunted them while becoming, finally, transformed by the truth themselves.

It is one of the best books I have ever read. It is a bit dark, and the perfect book to read on a cold winter’s day (or night). But it’s time to come to the light ~

So with that, I will bid you adieu. And hope your day goes well.

123 Signature[5]

26 comments:

The JR said...

I love to read and will look for that book.

Congrats to your niece. She is beautiful. Did I tell you we just found out at XMAS that my sister (who is 46....rolling my eyes) is pregnant.

Great picture of the frost.

Country Girl said...

Oh. My. Gosh. 46? Incredible!

Michelle said...

I feel the same way about winter. And as someone who became a mom at 40, I can't imagine being even OLDER. Menopause and adolescence is not a good combination....

Low Tide High Style said...

I hope sweet George is alright, I would be like your husband and obsessing too. And I'm glad you have the day off, we had a 2 hour delay. Your niece looks simply radiant!

Kat

Country Gal said...

Lovely post & photos ! Oh my yes Downton Abby was incredible didn't see that coming I was in tears as well ! I do hope the lump on George isn't anything serious ! I don't mind winter any more I guess as I age I find ya just go with the flow !
It is raining here now damp , mild with mist and snow is melting a soggy mess but earlier we had snow then freezing rain a mixed bag that's for sure . So the girls and I are just puttering and cozying for the day ! Have a good day !

Happydog said...

I hope George is all fine...I read this book some time ago and loved it as well. Worth reading for sure!

Em Parkinson said...

Fingers crossed for an abscess, if you know what I mean!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I'm reading Gone Girl right now... not sure if I like it yet, but it gets so much acclaim... I will pick this up next, looks like a great read..

Let us know what the bump is,ok?

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

oooh, and congrats to your beautuiful niece!...

Carolynn Anctil said...

I'm sending lots of warm wishes for a rapid recovery from whatever is ailing George.

Congrats on the arrival of your new family member and your unexpected day off work. Thanks for the book referral. I'm always looking for a good read.

Carolynn
A Glowing Ember

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Oh boy. You are the second person who said they were bawling over Downton Abbey last night. I DVRed it. I skeered to watch now. *sigh*

Hope George is ok.

Congrats to your niece! She is beautiful!

Hilary said...

I want that book.
You make it sound so riveting.
And I love your take on winter.....I will try harder now....you inspire me.
:)

Snap said...

Congratulations to your beautiful niece. I hope George's vet visit goes well. The Thirteenth Tale is in my stack. I was wondering what I would read next --- you made up my mind!

Nellie said...

What a beautiful mother-to-be!

Here's hoping what is troubling George will be a simple fix.

Take it easy on the roads!

thotlady said...

Thank you. This was a nice post. I too love the winters. I am originally from the Midwest, so I miss them terribly here in Virginia. Although the recent cold days have been a blessing to me, not to others though, I am afraid.

I also watched Downton Abbey last night. So sad, and that is all I will say about that.

I will have to pick up a copy of The Thirteenth Tale, it sounds right up my alley. I too love to read and always appreciate a good recommendation. Thank you.

I hope all will be well with George after the Vet visit.

Anonymous said...

We had ice yesterday, but it melted over night. I adore winter but I need some snow in a serious way.

Downton Abbey caught be off guard last night, so tragic.

Hugs for George!

Debbie from Illinois

Lili said...

Last night was the first time I have ever watched Downton Abbey and I think I know what you are referring to (the mother and son?)...omgosh that scene just broke my heart watching it. Oh and your niece is so beautiful and I love that your flash works so well in the interior shot. Hope George's bump has been all looked at and figured out by now. Oh and the frost on the window is so durn pretty in the sun. And most importantly your cheerful coffee cup makes me smile, now that's a good way to start your day! xo

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.

Is it very difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about
setting up my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Thanks
Also visit my web-site ... liverpool transfer rumours liverpool transfer news

Donna S. said...

I'm sure your pictures will end up great!!

Hope it's nothing big for George!! Let us know

GailO said...

I am so worried that someone will comment here about what happened on Downton Abbey that I am not reading any of the comments! We will be watching it tonight and now I am worried! I'll write to you after I see it:)

I "have a mind of winter" too and love this season and it's cold outside and coziness inside. One reason I think I like winter so much is due to warm fuzzy memories of "snow days". I am so happy for you that you had one today and I have to admit that I took one for myself and never left the house except to fill the birdfeeders:) We had our old windows replaced just a few years ago and I do miss the frost on the windows...

I do hope George is alright...is it soft or hard? Too late to say good luck at the vets but you know I hope all is well...

Love that portrait of your niece...and with the built in flash! That is fantastic! I have a terrible time with it

I have too many unread books here to even consider adding another to the pile yet no matter how good it is! I just haven't been reading much lately...

Now off to dinner and Downton Abbey!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Obsessed with an Abscess would make a great title to a book about a pimply teenager with OCD.

(Don't ask me where comments like this come from. There is absolutely no answer. But obsess and abscess sound good (and funny) together.)

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I'm two episodes behind on Downton...I know about the tragedy at the end but had no clue there was a tragedy in the middle. Gracious! This show has us all in its grips, doesn't it? Oy.

beth said...

kim is beautiful...omg, that smile !!!

poor george...i hope it's nothing...i really do !

and i think you must have gotten our ice ? we had two hour delays this morning for the country schools and it quickly went up into the high 30's...tomorrow 50 something....WHAT ?

ps...just sent you an email :)

Kerri Farley said...

OH I LOVE your cup and frosty pics! And nothing better than celebrating a "new-to-be" little one :)

Anonymous said...

Miss having coffee but not the heartburn that I get everytime I drink it. My honey has turned me on to real cocoa hot coco with cocoa from Peru and real cocoa butter and we have organic whole milk, add red chili, cane sugar and a touch of almond flavoring. I tell you what it is amazing stuff if you ever get the chance to try it.
I just couldn't stop crying Sunday night either and can't believe they did that. PW has a post about it and the comments are interesting to read too. Loving that show more all the time.
and your frost photo is just Wonderful Kate.
have fun with you new niece (is that what your niece's baby (will that be to you?)?? family lines can get so long and kinda fun to figure out sometimes.
well now that I've typed your ear off,
peace n abundance,
CheyAnne

Pauline said...

Coffee in a big cup snuggled in your favourite chair on a snow day - doesn't get any better!!