Monday, February 6, 2012

Afternoon bird song

As much as I love Fridays, the start of the work week is not my cup of tea. Mondays often find me irritable and testy, and today I felt myself getting impatient at every little thing but it wasn’t until I hung up on the husband of my co-worker that I told myself I’d better get away from my desk before somebody really got hurt.

(Not that I would ever hurt anyone, mind you). And truth be told, my co-worker’s husband had it coming. He is a most unpleasant person, but I am usually much more nice than this and I ended up becoming angry with myself.

Did you think I was nice all the time? Sorry to burst your bubble.

 

DSC_2593 copy 2

On Sunday afternoon, I sat outside in the sunshine. Oh, it was pretty chilly, but the air was still and it was quite nice sitting outside in the sunshine bundled up a little bit in my coat and scarf and fingerless gloves. The warmth of the sun was wonderful.

I took my knitting out there, and it was calming to knit the rows back and forth . . .

Oh, and I also had the camera.

 

DSC_2598 copy 2

I hope you’re not saying, “Oh, no! Not more bird pictures!”

: : :

Just listening to them flitting from branch to branch, and hearing them sing, well it warmed my heart. And I tried not to think of having to start back to work the next day. I do enjoy my job, and I’m glad to have it. But I love my days off.

 

DSC_2600 copy 2

I think that of all the photos I took yesterday, this one is my favorite. Could be the squiggles. Or the red accents of this little male house finch.

 

DSC_2632 copy 2

My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather. ~Terri Guillemets

 

DSC_2652 copy 2

A bird does not sing because it has an answer.  It sings because it has a song.  ~Chinese Proverb

 

DSC_2661 copy 2

A little Downy Woodpecker came to visit the suet feeder and reminded me of a poem I heard a long time ago.

 

The Woodpecker

The woodpecker pecked out a little round hole
And made him a house in the telephone pole.

One day when I watched he poked out his head,
And he had on a hood and a collar of red.

When the streams of rain pour out of the sky,
And the sparkles of lightning go flashing by,

And the big, big wheels of thunder roll,
He can snuggle back in the telephone pole.

by Elizabeth Madox Roberts
1881–1941

: : :

I feel much better now that this day is over. And tomorrow I’m going to strive to be a lot more patient.

So how was your Monday?

123 Signature[5]

30 comments:

Cloudia said...

yes, those liquid little voices heal!


Warm Aloha from Hawaii
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Devon said...

I was supposed to have the day off to homeschool my 12 year old, but said I would help out and see 2 patients. One was a mess that took 5 phone calls and mountains of paperwork to sort out. Thank goodness hubby took over homeschool duties for me today!

I love all of your photography... but that first bird with the all of the short twig like branches in the same tone of color was just beautiful to me! Loved it.. a highlight to my Monday!

spindrift,maine said...

Tea, bird son, and knitting. Perfect zen, thinks I. Monday is over. All downhill now to Friday, Kate! ;o)

Candylei said...

Isn't it amazing how nature helps to cleanse our thoughts. It looks as if you had a chorus of birds singing to you! Hope all stays well.;-)

beth said...

i love that one, too....and i think it is the squiggles the makes it so special :)

my hubby always has a hard time with sunday nights, knowing monday is just around the corner....i try everything possible to make that night easier for him.

and hey, if that co-worker's hubby is that unpleasant....well i don't think you did anything wrong at all.....xoxo

Deb said...

I saw a downy woodpecker today but it wouldn't let me get a photo...it kept hiding behind branches darn bird..

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Love these and particularly adore the squiggles!

Dar said...

We all have those imperfect days sometime...that's what makes us unique...ya knew that, right!
Now, go knit another row, take another picture, and have a sweet-tooth moment. All will be better in the morning.
BlessYourHeart

A New England Life said...

Just the other day I was telling my niece that I think these are my mean years. Everything and everyone seems to irritate me that I don't agree with.

Wonderful, wonderful bird images! So soft and pretty! It's been a bit to chilly here to go out and sit in the sun but I sure look forward to that day. Hope Tuesday treats you right, Kate ; )

Sharon

JaneK said...

I work with kids and have a 5 year old of my own... that let's you know how I am at the end of the day!

I don't think we need to be "nice" all the time; some people need to be spoken to firmly but that doesn't mean being mean either... (and hanging up on someone I don't think is "mean" it is a strong boundary) I think we all need to learn to hang up on someone from time to time... b/c they probably have it coming to them :)

hope tomorrow is more peaceful for you :)

Anonymous said...

Love the bird photos!
and especially your favorite. Today....I had no motivation and from the way I feel right now, I don't know if there will be any tomorrow either. As far as hanging up on someone, maybe I can top that...I noted in an e-mail what a mess one office had created with some travel plans and basically how stupid they were and then sent it to the wrong person...the person whom I was bashing. I've already warned my bosses they will probably be getting some phone calls. I look at it this way...#1 It was the truth, #2 They had it coming, and #3 It gave the day a little excitment. LOL! Have a wonderful week!

wayne15575 said...

OMG, I'm shattered to know our Katie is HUMAN...
There goes your pedestal sweet lady. Hahaha

I hope tomorrow is much better as well.

Ann On and On... said...

Birds boring...never! I was walking down the busy street yesterday and it was the simple sound of a bird that made me stop and smile.

*If you didn't have a bad day here and there, I'd question your authenticity. :D

Foto Clipping said...

wow! im just loving these!! thank you for the snaps!

Fotoclipping,ClippingImages

becky up the hill said...

Sorry you had a rough Monday..sigh. Just wanted to say..your header, is the prettiest ever..dreamy.

thecatalanway said...

I can't tell you how much i love those bird photos - they make my heart full. It's also because they are not photos by some anonymous person that I see in a book. I know a little about you and can try to imagine how it was actually seeing that house finch on the tree. This is the feeling that comes across.
There can never be too many bird photos for me!
love Kate x

Skogkjerring said...

Dear Kate, I feel the same way. I do enjoy my job but my days off are the best. I like to use my time the way I want too..at my own speed. I´m independent in that way..I don´t like to be told what to do and when to do it. But you know, we generally jump through hoops for that ol´paycheck...at least until the day they call from the lottery and say....Congratulations you´vĂ©´just won...

The quotes and bird photos are well said and stunning as always! Hope your Tuesday is better then your Monday!

Nurse Nancy said...

Love the photos....JBM has become quite the birdwatcher and he loves your pics so keep them coming!
I had a tough Monday too that ended with CCD for my son's fifth grade class.....I am the teacher and last night they were challenged and so was I.

WPgirl said...

Your bird photos are just beautiful Kate. I also enjoyed the poem. My Monday was all right.

Gretchen said...

Never stop with the gorgeous bird photos, puleeeeez. Have you noticed how many more birds are around during this warm winter?

And, Kate, no one is nice all the time....you cope with a very busy life so give yourself some slack.

Mental P Mama said...

I think I am seeing early signs of bird love up here!

The JR said...

Sometimes rude people don't need you being nice to them.

Beautiful photos. I wish I could knit.

Melissa Marie Head said...

Wow you always have the neatest pictures of such pretty birds.

Lili said...

I adore your birdie images, quotes and squiggles and our Kate who is always endearing no matter what. A gal can only take so much you know! Happy Tuesday. xo ~Lili

Merisi Vienna said...

What beautiful bird pictures, I am smitten! No wonder you felt better prepared to start the new week! :-)

Kerri Farley said...

I am hearing a lot of bird song lately ..... it sounds like Spring :)
These are FANTASTIC Kate!! Your bird posts are always my favorites :)

Unknown said...

love your birds.....and I might just need to borrow George to chase away the squirrels that are defeating all of our attempts to keep them from the bird food....smiles

Donna S. said...

Oh, I so love my days off!!

Bluebird49 said...

Oh--Monday is one of those days I'd prefer to forget--except the part about us going out to eat.that was ok. But now, now that we're at our son's house with our little family...I can feel the stress melting away. WOn't you show some pictures of your knitted items? I'd love that---although, you know any of your pictures are charming to me.

Susan said...

Beautiful photos!