Monday, June 21, 2010

And now a word from the dog

When we got home from Maine yesterday afternoon, we unpacked the car completely. And then we unpacked all of our luggage, putting everything away. We always do this because we both like getting it done. And it really doesn’t take that long.

An hour later, after he’d checked the garden and I’d watered the plants in this awful heat, my husband ~ covered in sweat ~ said that he couldn’t stand it here any more. This heat is ridiculous, he said. It’s 89 degrees in here! (We have a thermostat in the breakfast nook). And so this morning, on Father’s Day, he went out very early and picked up a window unit air conditioner and put it in our living room.

And everyone has been happy all day long.

Some of you had asked how George fared on vacation last week in Maine. And well, I think I’ll let him tell you.

DSC_0635 copy 2

I am a dog. My name is George. My humans took me on vacation with them last week. They didn’t bring the cat and I was glad.

DSC_0034 copy 2

I was born in Ellsworth, Maine. I don’t remember any of it. I love how Maine smells, though. And I like the rocks. I love running on them.

DSC_0227 copy 2

I went to the restaurant at Jordan Pond. But only because my humans had to use the bathroom.

DSC_0236 copy 2

I went kayaking with dad. If I look scared, it’s because I was.

DSC_0297 copy 2

I took naps.

DSC_0402 copy 2

I waited for mom to take pictures. And I posed for her.

DSC_0434 copy 2

I looked out the window from my seat in the car.

DSC_0475 copy 2

I tried to think deep thoughts like dad.

I’m being funny. I just want some of his power bar. My favorite is vanilla crisp.

DSC_0489 copy 2

I sat at mom’s feet while she read books. It was cold and she was wrapped in a blanket.

DSC_0511 copy 2

The sea air made my fur frizzy. We are watching a lobster boat.

DSC_0521 copy 2

I do not like loud crashing waves. I hope I never go to this place again.

Dad loved it.

DSC_0559 copy 2

This is my seat in the car. Dad brought me here after he realized how scared I was of the big waves. I feel safe in the car.

DSC_0608 copy 2

I was the only dog with my humans on Cadillac Mountain one morning.

DSC_0604 copy 2

I got really dirty playing in the tidal mud flats and had to have a bath.

DSC_0648 copy 2

I love my dad. He has power bars, too.

DSC_0814 copy 2

And I love fetch. And Maine. I hope we go back.

The end.

51 comments:

Country Girl said...

He's not a very good writer, is he?!

~ C.G.

Ann On and On... said...

Well, he is one lucky dog! It sounds like a fantastic vacation. I'm glad you are home safe.

Candice Michele said...

smiles

Heather said...

I enjoyed George's memories :)

Leenie said...

I think he is an excellent writer. Humor, information, good grammar and a fascinating travelog. Who could ask for more? And don't forget the handsome Phantom of the Opera face.

Kathy said...

George, I loved your vacation diary. I'll be waiting for the coffee table book edition at Barnes & Noble.

deborah said...

Please tell George that I enjoyed his stories and the wonderful pictures his mom took. When he publishes, I will purchase one of his books. Please give George a doggy hug for me!

Cheryl said...

Hi George, so glad you had a good vacation. Bet the puddles were fun.

You have such great parents to take you along.

Puddles

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

That made me smile. Thanks! :)

sallysmom said...

Kate, I love all the pics but especially the ones of George with your husband.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

I love hearing stories from George! So glad he had a wonderful and exciting adventure:)

Hilary said...

George has an 'authentic voice'.
I love it

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

He's a fantabulous writer and his mother is a phenomenal photographer. Sounds like a wonderful place--except for that kayaking part. George, I'm with you on the unsteady boat thing. But I actually think you'd like being on a Boston Whaler or something a little more stable - maybe even a workboat filled with crab and fish smells...what are you doing July 15?

Anonymous said...

Warm & fuzzy, such an enjoyable post tonight, George is a very lucky dog, but not nearly as lucky as you.
Blessings,
~Ronda~

Gail said...

George, I think you may get to go on every vacation from now on.

Remember, the waves can't hurt when you are with Dad.

Glad you had a great time.

Chrissykat said...

I like George's sea-air "do!" Looks like you all had a wonderful & rejuvenating vaca.

Unknown said...

I just am totally in love with George. just don't tell my aussie Baylor :) Thank you for sharing George with us once again and the beautiful photos of him and your trip.
Blessings~ Angela

Anonymous said...

I love hearing George's side of the vacation. I leave here wearing a smile. :0)

Char said...

so cute! :)

Carol E. said...

George is so clever! Love his book!

Julie Harward said...

I love you George...I am so glad you had a good trip! :D

Lili said...

Awww so cool to learn George was born in Ellsworth! He just stole my heart. Love him. ~Lili

JacksDad said...

I think he'd make a very good tv commentator!

Sweetpea said...

Waaaay COOL, George! When you publish, we'd like a paw-tographed copy, please.

p.s. What the heck does your mom expect from a Squirrel Warrior anyway?!

p.p.s. luv the photos, CG!

Unknown said...

I just love George!!!! :)

A New England Life said...

I think he writes pretty good! Simple and to the point ; )

George, don't tell mom, but I think you might be dad's favorite. Ha, haa!

Nurse Nancy said...

I am sooo sad that this ended...can George write some more please? This was so great.

Anonymous said...

He has the most gorgeous eyes!

Mental P Mama said...

He is a genius.

Daryl said...

He writes good.

Holly said...

"hey Gorg! Dis is Conner....can eye come wif u next time? It soundz liek fun!"

Conner the Corgi

Holly said...

Connneerrr! What are you doing at the keyboard?! Get off my chair. Good grief...what did that imp say now?

His Song to Sing said...

I never get tired of hearing from and about George! I need to "tune in" to my Sheltie's thoughts more often ... no telling what I would hear.

The JR said...

lol...cold in a blanket.....we're having to run around almost necked it's so hot here in MS.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Awww. I love George's version of things. It was so good to see the pictures of the places we went last year. I love Acadia!

Doris said...

What a great friend you have in George - I hope you cherish him (Moments in Time)

Deb said...

sounds like George had a nice vacation...except for the waves....nice photos...

The Weaver of Grass said...

Dear George, What a clever and personable dog you are - so glad you enjoyed your holiday - were you pleased to see the cat when you came home again?

mrs mediocrity said...

And I love George. He is a really good writer. :)

My name is Riet said...

George is my favorite writer. And model.:)))

Cloudia said...

Best post EVER!






Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

Anonymous said...

I believe you have very accurately envisioned what a border would think.....and say, if given the opportunity.
So glad that you had fun! smiles.

Deb said...

Yet another fine idea from Miss Kate and her pal, George!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you shared George's account of his vacation. He looks very relaxed (except for the waves). thanks for sharing!
Manden

Alli said...

Love. it.

Really Kate, that is the cutest thing I've read in a long time. Love the story from George's point of view and love your pictures!

A Scattering said...

Kate, the photo of your hubby and George on Cadillac Mountain in the fog is sublime....

Brynwood Needleworks said...

George...
I'm going to nominate you for the Caldecott Award, or a Pulitzer. I really enjoyed reading your book. You have a gift with words. I mean, for a dog. Thanks for your perspective on Maine. Makes me want to visit!
Scratches,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Dogs are better at barking and giving kisses than they are at writing... but we forgive you, George.

Di

wildbanshee said...

Oh my, how beautifully written George, kind of reminiscent of a story I read long ago called "The Silent Meow", I know cat's aren't your favorite subject, but you must let your humans read it.
The pictures Mom took were just the icing on the cake.

Bonnie said...

Oh George, how we look forward to future memoirs from far away places...♥

Cloudia said...

I love you George