Monday, March 29, 2010

My baby, she wrote me a letter

I love handmade cards. And just the other day, when I opened the drawer in the dining room cabinet looking for a set of candles, I spied my letter collection. And I thought to myself that they were so pretty, I’d do a post on them some day.

DSC_0039 copy 2

My friend, Margie, the art teacher at our school, made this card for me the other day as a thank you. I’d given her one of the Jimmy Belasco candles I’d recently bought because I thought it would cheer her up.

And it did. And that cheered me up.

DSC_0034 copy 2 DSC_0041 copy 2

Little was I expecting this beautiful handmade card in return. The background is wrapping paper with little dots that are in a swirl pattern. She created all the circles and hand painted them. I love it! She even embellished the envelope with my name. (Margie, if you are reading this, I hope I’m not embarrassing you.)

I have a collection of some of her hand made cards. Most are in frames.

DSC_0002 copy 2

These are cards, both thank you and just because, from friends and family. My niece sent me the one on the right. I believe she made it herself.

Who doesn’t love getting something nice like this in the mail rather than the usual bills?

DSC_0004 copy 2

The little handmade one in the center here is from Boneca Linda, where I recently purchased a couple of camera straps for friends.

DSC_0006 copy 2

This one hangs on my frig. It’s a postcard from my blogging friend, Tracey, who lives the next county over from me. We have yet to meet because of our busy schedules. But we plan on it.

May the art of letter writing never die.

Thanks everyone, for your encouragement with the new look here. Yes, I like it better with the double columns on the right rather than the left. There was something that was bothering me and that was it.

Yes, I have ads on my site now. I had never cared about the money before, but with the encouragement of friends, I decided that if it would even pay for a new lens, it would be worth it.

Hope your week is a good one. Until tomorrow, then?

36 comments:

Low Tide High Style said...

You clearly have some very talented friends and family! I love handwritten notes and cards and if they are written on handmade cards that makes them even more special!

Kat :)

Unknown said...

I keep all of my letters too....I have letters from both grandmothers, and from friends long gone...I love getting them out and remembering....although, sometimes they make me cry. thank you for reminding me of their importance! smiles.

Tess Kincaid said...

Love the art of letter writing. And your new look is tres cool!

Leese said...

There is something special about handmade cards. Actually these days there is something special about any hand written note. I have kept all of mine too, I take them out and read them every now & again & without a doubt I am always in tears & smiles at the same time!
Love the new layout too!

beth said...

you crazy girl...
I do think I like the littles better on the right side now that you've changed it.....

and i keep notes and letters ,too....i just wish i had started sooner....

cottage farm villa said...

This is much better!!! I also like the ads on the right side ~

I don't get letters, but I have boxes of cards that I keep ... i need to take an afternoon and go through them ... thanks for the reminder to look at them :)

Alli said...

That is so sweet! Love the card collection. Email is convenient and all but whenever mail comes it sure puts a smile on your face doesn't it? Especially those handmade beauties!

Marla said...

I love these cards. They all have such awesome personalities... I need to be better about sending out cards.

Marla @ www.asthefarmturns.wordpress.com

JacksDad said...

I used to LOVE writing letters, but I haven't written one in years.

abb said...

I love old fashioned mailed letters. Nothing better.

Jon said...

Yea... but the letter writing is fast dying habit.... i rarely get one nowadays!!!

Lovely cards

Anonymous said...

Where is the weekly George photo? Some of us never get enough GEORGE!
KD

Char said...

what a beautiful way to say i love you with a handwritten card. wonderful shots.

Holly said...

I like the double row on the right also.

Those cards are lovely, not only in the artistry but also in the thoughtfulness and care taken to construct them just for you. I love the handmade cards I get, and am requesting them from my children for Mothers Day this year.

Skogkjerring said...

Hi Kate, how special to get homemade cards in this day and age- and they are so pretty!! :-)) Love the new look on your pages...good luck with the advertising!! :-))

Sue said...

Hi Kate....yes, lets hope letter and card writing never dies...I have saved every single card both handmade and store bought that daughter and my friends have sent me....I even have cards that my father sent my mother back in the 30's....they are really special...

Shana Putnam said...

I love writing and receiving letters. I also love handmade cards. These are beautiful and I know they make you smile.

Merisi said...

These are all so pretty and the new background and look are perfect!

Mary said...

What a beautiful collection -- each one a tiny work of art! :)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Beautiful cards, and you're right. It's so much better getting these in the mail. Bills are the main reason I only go to pick up my mail at the post office once a week, if that.

wv: sceld. I've sceld back my trips to the post office in the hopes that by not going, I won't receive bills. Of course we know this is twisted logic.

Nurse Nancy said...

I am with the rest of the group...I love getting letters in the mail. Notes like these would really make me smile. Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I so hope letter writing never comes to an end. Emails and texts are taking over!

CJ xx

mrs mediocrity said...

Yes, a handwritten note is still best, if it's on a handmade card, even better. Sometimes, the old fashioned way is far superior.

Anonymous said...

I receive lovely handmade cards throughout the year from my daughter and grandchildren. They are just THE BEST cards in the world when seen through the eyes of a grandmother. And I love the fact that she is teaching the children the art of sending a thank you card.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Mental P Mama said...

Just beautiful! And, W00t! for the ads!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Hooray for your decision for the ads! I love hand written letters too. I am glad you still have the post card ;0)

Daryl said...

Pretty ... I save all the handwritten notes I have gotten over the years ...

ELK said...

there is a lot going on here...love the cards kate..

kay on south coast of or said...

I like to do my own cards too, and enjoyed seeing the ones from your friends....Have a Happy Easter.
(we are having a monstor storm this morning here on the west coast of oregon)

Caroline said...

Beautiful cards! I too like my columns on the right...maybe because we read from right to left? Anyway, looks great Kate. And I hope you make lots of $$ ;)

Deb said...

Lovely cards! And such a keepsake!

The JR said...

She's very creative. They are beautiful.

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

The cards (art work) are beautiful. Thank you for sharing something so colorful on such a dreary day (in northern CA)

Julie Harward said...

I love the new look of your blog...wow! And I love all your precious cards, each is so pretty! :D

Chrissykat said...

Definitely like the new format (ads on the right). I think it's great that you could make a few $$...especially for a new lens! Woo Hoo! p.s. Did I miss something, what happened to "The Weekly Dose of George?"

Kerri Farley said...

Such beautiful cards! I like the new look too!