Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The colors of the sun

Before I begin, I’d just like to say thank you. Thanks to those who come by and visit my place here. Thanks for your encouragement, your support, for the extremely witty, funny and kind words you say sometimes, and thanks for putting up with the occasional crabby post like the one I did yesterday.

Today I got a phone call from my friend the decorator. She said the newspaper people wanted to know when they were getting my photos and they wanted them like NOW, man. We settled on Thursday but I could tell they weren’t thrilled about it.

So when I came home tonight, I worked on processing the nearly 200 photos I took on Saturday, choosing the best and only working on them. And I’m glad to say that I’ve finished. They’re on a CD and ready to hand over. But this post isn’t about that. This post is about a lovely wine I had over the weekend. And if I hadn’t finished the bottle, I’d be having a glass right now to celebrate a job well-done. Well actually no, I wouldn’t be having a glass right now, as I rarely drink during the week.

Colores Del Sol is a malbec from Argentina and its flavor totally surprised me. I picked up a couple of malbecs last week and of the two, I enjoyed this one far more than the other. And at under $10 a bottle, this is an exceptional value.

DSC_0046 copy 2

Colores del Sol meaning “Colors of the Sun” is a Malbec that captures the exciting, alluring qualities of the Malbec grape in a wine which utilized modern, high-quality winemaking. The vineyards in Mendoza are among the highest in the world – therefore, closest to the sun where the sun's light is most pure. That pure light reflects from grapes and vines like a starburst, revealing all the colors of the sun. The grapes are watered with pure melted snow channeled from the Andes, using a centuries-old irrigation system inherited from the native settlers, the Huarpes Indians.

~ From the website

DSC_0047 copy 2

And since I don’t do ‘wine-speak’, I’ll let the expert say it:

2008 Colores del Sol Malbec Reserva is absolutely stunning in the glass with its deep dark garnet color, followed by enormous aromas of cherries, blackberry, currant and tea, with a finish of smoke, spice and caramel, that is full-bodied with ample tannins.

~ Doug Harmon, wine consultant

What he said. And I love the beautiful insignia on the bottle, too.

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

30 comments:

Char said...

i wish i knew more about wine but then again, i only like the white so i'm okay with a pinot gris.

congrats on what i know is a job very well done

Low Tide High Style said...

I love the artwork on wine labels! And congrats on getting your photos done and ready to send!

Kat :)

Deb said...

Lovely bottle and great wine - we discovered Malbec from Argentina in a tiny, wine shop and both enjoy it very much on friday night :)

Sometimes I'll buy a bottle of wine just because I like the label. Sometimes I hit a home run and sometimes I strike out bad...hehehe

Chrissykat said...

For the last few days I've done nothing but read your blog from beginning to end...sun up to sun down...reading, laughing, reading, crying, reading and wishing. My two cats have loved the hours upon hours of my hind parts parked on the couch and settled in with me, one on each side (my bookends). I LOVE your blog, your photos, your personality, your views of your world, your energy, your quirks, your neck of the woods and of course, your dog George & kitty Blackie. I am enchanted with you (and also totally exhausted & cross-eyed from staring at the computer for so long!).

Peace

abb said...

Malbec. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Country Girl said...

Hey, thanks all. And to Chrissykat, welcome. Tried to e-mail you back but you don't have your profile set up to enable me to do so. I am sorry that your eyes are crossed by now but glad for the bookend cats. It's sort of like reading a book, isn't it? Although a very bad one!!

~ C.G.

Chrissykat said...

I thought I was set up for that (still pretty new to this blogger deal). I think I've fixed the settings properly now. ;)

Are you kidding?...a bad book?...absolutely not! Enjoyed every second of it, truly...the good, the very good, the bad and the very bad...it's life. I'm very happy to have stumbled upon yours!

Peace

beth said...

i'm a white wine person, but my hubby would love this one !

200 photos....i know how hard and time consuming that is...way to kick some butt getting that job done !

Linda said...

I've never even heard of Melbec but it sounds wonderful. And the price is right too. I'll have to go see my local wine store owner and see if she will get me some. Thanks for the tip!

Caroline said...

Congrats on the photos...I want to see them!!

And I am writing this wine down...can't wait to try it. I love a good malbec!

Cheers!

Ann Marie said...

ohhhh new wine! can't wait to try it.

Jayne said...

How fun to find a bottle that you enjoy so much. Sounds really good, and a good bit like the old vine zins I tend to gravitate towards. I'll have to find some here! Thanks for the recommend Kate!

Daryl said...

If you see Mendoza on a Mablec, its almost guaranteed to be excellent .. was this one of the bargin bin wines? If so, HA to the skeptic (which it turns out can be spelt with a k or two c's)

Steph said...

hanks for he wine recommendaion! I love Reds and I love having a clue when I'm standing in the wine aisle amongst a sea of pretty bottles. I gave up alcohol on January 1st though (I cannot lose weight when it's in my life..arrrggghh!) but plan to indulge in a bottle when my birhday rolls around in April.
Glad you got your poject done, I know that feels good!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

If I were a wine drinker, I would be all over that. Unfortunately it sparks migraines for me :0(

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to expand my wine vocabulary and library.. must try, thanks!

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm going to look for this one.

And regards to your previous post. Oh, gosh. Don't mention weight to me. Sore subject here. By this time of year, I'm heavily into my walking and have shed those holiday blubs. Not this year. The snow's been knee deep in the drive for over a month. So, what have I been doing? Cooking, blogging and eating!

Anonymous said...

Well you make it sound wonderful but I don't drink! I'll just take your word for it.

Hope the photos go well.

CJ xx

Anonymous said...

ironic...i was planning on doing a post this week on wines under $10.00! i do love a good wine that doesn't break the bank! i'll try this one out. thanks!

Unknown said...

I don't know about the wine....but I do know a thing or two about clients, paying and non-paying, that need it yesterday. OUch! this is what I go thru every job I do...and weddings usually involve between 600-1000 images to edit. Of course they want them when they return from the honeymoon....smiles.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Congratulations on your photoshoot job. They'll be stunned by the images you send them, I have no doubt.

That wine sounds great. Sadly, I can't drink reds anymore.

The JR said...

I'm glad you're finished with the project. Hope they appreciate all your hard work too!

Neat label.

Mental P Mama said...

I think when I had my bloodwork done today during my physical that it was probably 50% malbec. Just sayin'.

Julie Harward said...

Don't feel bad..the weight game makes me feel miserable too! Beautiful labels, don't know anything about wine, don't drink it either. Sounds like you have been working hard..bless you! Come say hi :D

Jo said...

I love wine labels. And I love wine -- especially red wine.

Goodness, you have your work cut out for you. Better have a glass of wine. ;-)

big hair envy said...

With a label like that, how could the wine be bad?? Malbec is the new Merlot;)

Casa de Carrens said...

Just wanted to tell you how much i enjoy reading your blog. i was born and raised in Baltimore (now living in LA) and it makes me homesick (in a good way) to see your beautiful photos. i cant believe the winter you all have had!

i'm spoiled with great california wine out here but will have to try this one!

Country Girl said...

Welcome to Casa de Carrens. Yes, Baltimore got even more snow than we did. The city is an hour west of me. And you are totally spoiled with all that wine out there in California!

~ C.G.

Deb said...

congrats on getting your photos done...will have to look into that wine...

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

My eyes are spinning from that insignia. I could stare at it all day - mesmerizing.

Once again, you have me convinced that there is no other wine to drink except this one even though I've never had it. The next time I'm in civilization, I'll be looking this one up, and they should at least send you a case or three for free just for spreading the good word.

Advertising should be your gig, seriously. It goes hand in hand with your awesome photography, but the words and how you make everything look and sound beautiful--truly a gift.