Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day Trip to Harper’s Ferry, WV

We took a two-hour drive west today to visit Harper’s Ferry, WV, an area rich in history. We planned to take a couple of hikes and ended up doing one along the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, a National Historic Park, which runs along the Potomac River from Washington DC to Cumberland. It passes through Harper’s Ferry, about the half-way point on the 185-mile long canal trail.

The Canal was a marvel of engineering achievement for its day, and immigrant workers using primitive tools built the 74 locks, 7 dams, 11 aqueducts and a 3,118-foot tunnel. The construction began in 1828, near Washington DC and took 22 years to finish.

Seventy-four lift locks raised and lowered water levels, working like a staircase to adjust for a 605-foot difference in elevation between Georgetown and Cumberland. Floods damaged the canal over the years, and one in 1924 left the canal in ruins, much of which can still be seen today.

DSC_0753 copy 2

It was a beautiful day, not too cold although there was a fresh breeze along the river. We parked at Lock 34 on the Maryland side, just across the river from Harper’s Ferry and began to hike north, ending up at Lock 37. The photo above was shot just after passing the rapids. I noticed how quiet it had become.

DSC_0727 copy 2

The clouds were coming and going and the water turned lovely shades of colors as the sun hit it and then went back in the shade.

DSC_0708 copy 2

The rough water is in the photo above; you can really hear the water rushing over the rocks.

DSC_0712 copy 2

You can see it, too.

DSC_0744 copy 5

George loves his master. I used PW’s B&W for this photo, brushing away the red of the leash. Then I layered on a texture from Florabella called Platinum. I’m just throwing that out there.

DSC_0725 copy 2

The photo above shows some of the canal ruins.

This is a great place to run, hike or bike and I’d like to head back here some day. I’d also like to tour the old town which we didn’t get to do today. I’ve put it on my list as a good photo op day trip for the near future.

I’ll have more tomorrow, as this is not the only place we visited today.

Until then, my friends . . .

If you have time and would like to view the history and a drawing of the C&O Canal, visit [this link].

Really interesting: To view historic photos of the canal, visit [this link].UPDATE: This link appears to be broken. If you'd like to see photos, visit the first link above, then click on 'Photos and Multimedia' on the left hand bar tab.

34 comments:

Char said...

looks like a great day trip - beautiful shots.

Deb said...

beautiful photos...looks like a nice place for a day trip...can't wait to see more....I've always wanted to go to Maine...

Deb said...

I mean Maryland...well Maine too....

Julie Harward said...

A place I would LOVE to go and walk with my big golden retreiver! Very beautiful so glad you have the dog with you...I love to take mine with me everywhere I can....have lots of fun! come say hi :D

FireLight said...

Darn, I just wish I could ride along in the truck with you kids! Great trip...great narrative and as always...great photos.


Word Verification:
stshares

Erica Houskeeper said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day out there. Interesting history and lovely photos!

JacksDad said...

I've always wanted to go to Harper's Ferry, but it's just one of the places I've never made it to yet! Thank you for sharing the picts!

abb said...

Aside from the fact this is a lovely lovely post, I vote for the SEA SHANTY!! You??

Deb said...

Beautiful photos Kate of gorgeous area....what nice way to spend a day. George obviously enjoyed himself :) I love that photo - that ultimate devotion. People who belong to dogs are sooooo lucky to experience that.

Looking forward to your next post ;)

Jon said...

Beautiful photos...beautiful place

Unknown said...

Such gorgeous photos Kate! The sky is amazing!

Cloudia said...

You SO show the beauty of the East Coast, Mid Atlantic- the land of my childhood. I sometimes dream of it here in Waikiki...


Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

gayle said...

The adoration photo of George took my breath away.

Thanks.

tainterturtles said...

We visited Harper's Ferry back in the late 1990's and I loved that area. My sister and he family were living in Cumberland at the time and we got to do a lot of sightseeing in the area. We had so much fun.

Bike man also cycled on the COC trail and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing the HF trip.

Jeanne Walker said...

Glad I was present in class today for our history lesson.

Love, love, love the picture of George with DH! Whatta dog!!!

Blessings, Jeanne

Hilary said...

Beautiful shots, Kate. I love that black and white shot.. well almost black and white. :)

Skogkjerring said...

Hi Kate, thanks for sharing a piece of the history around you in such great shots...all I kept thinking was- there's no snow!!! Ahh well, I can handle snow a couple more months,then I'll cry...hahahaha..

Especially loved the photo of George looking up at your husband...I love dogs...they understand the meaning of true loyalty...
Have a super day!

Mary said...

What a beautiful place to hike! I hear Harper's Ferry is a great old town with lots of wonderful antiques shops... :) Oh, and I love the bw of George and your husband -- lovely processing!

BB said...

I always feel peaceful when I visit your place - could be the lack of sound on my speakers, but I think it's your way. Lovely shots, and the one of George and his master is heart-stopping. That is adoration, pure and unadulterated.
:-)
BB

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I love going to Harper's Ferry. There is something so calm and quiet about it in the winter. Thanks for taking us with you!

Woman in a Window said...

You guys and your walking...I knew I liked you for some reason.

I love that shot of your husband and George. It is perfect.

You are well, I hope.
xo
erin

Tess Kincaid said...

Super pics. Lovely little getaway.

Jill of All Trades said...

What beautiful pictures. Very cool place. Love the red leash pic.

Mental P Mama said...

I love the old town...but these are beautiful. I would like to visit there, too. With George and Dora.

Marla said...

Beautiful pictures...

http://asthefarmturns.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

I love the picture of George and your hubby! A very nice place to walk and enjoy the day!

Daryl said...

Fabulous ... and I am glad your foot ache didnt stop the picture taking .. xo

The Weaver of Grass said...

The look on George's face is pur doggy love, Kate.

noble pig said...

What beautiful, beautiful shots! Love the one with George and the hubby's legs.

abb said...

Beautiful water. And that Georgie...

Carolynn Anctil said...

Nice day, although it looks pretty chilly...I'm enjoying the photos from the comfort of my cozy home.

Those are definitely adoring eyes George has fixed on your husband.

GailO said...

...another beautiful day trip and hike Kate!...and photos to go along :)

The JR said...

I love the intensity of Border Collies.

Beautiful photos.

beth said...

what a beautiful day !....a gorgeous walk....wow !