Friday, December 11, 2009

Shopping in Connecticut

I don’t know what possessed me to buy all these little keychain attachments while out shopping on a rainy afternoon in Connecticut last weekend. Maybe it was because they were about the only thing I could afford in the store where I found them.

DSC_0053 copy 2

Maybe it was because they’re really cute. And I love that giraffe. And the rooster!

DSC_0051 copy 2

The fish is pretty cool too. I put this photo here because I love all the little dots of light in the background. Very festive, you know.

One shop we went into had sheets on sale. The feel of them was absolutely decadent and flat and fitted sheets were each priced at $395.00. A single pillowcase was only $85.00 and everything was marked 50% off. I could have gotten a set for a steal at $500.00 . . . wow.

DSC_0048 copy 2

I liked this little tile that features the Flatiron Building in vintage New York City, so I bought it for someone.

One of my favorite movies to watch this time of year is The Family Man, starring Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni. I love the idea of having a second chance, and watching Cage’s transformation from the self-centered man he was and into the loving father and husband he becomes. Tea Leoni is one of my favorites, and I really love her in this role. The film is slightly reminiscent of It’s a Wonderful Life and also stars Jeremy Piven as the best friend, who I really enjoy watching in Entourage.

One of my favorite two scenes in this movie are when Jack (Cage) is watching a video where he’s singing happy birthday to his wife, and when he’s changing his son’s diaper for the first time.

I always feel good after watching this film. Here’s the trailer.

Until tomorrow, my friends . . .

Do you have any must-see holiday flicks?

30 comments:

Mary said...

Ooo, love your sparklies! And yes that is a cute movie. :)

Char said...

good movie - love the painting

the soundtrack to that movie features an Edwin McCain song that I like.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

The fish and the rooster are simultaneously whimsical and beautiful.

I love that.

Christmas movies...A Christmas Story always makes me laugh, so I usually watch that every year.

A New England Life said...

What a wonderful movie, though I haven't seen it in quite some time. I can't really say there's any movie I have to see but my husband always watches It's a wonderful life. Frankly I'm sick of it.

I like the white star and the rooster is pretty cool. Just what I need, a key chain! Seriously! Need to steal one of the kids old backpacks ; )

Cool tile Kate. What is it, about 4" x 4"?

Sharon

DeniseinVA said...

I love the look of all your purchases and the movie sounds a great one to watch.

Dessa said...

Thr Family Man is one of my most favorite holiday movies to watch. I love it for all of the reasons you mentioned--and oh my goodness, that little girl and baby boy are ADORABLE!

Sue said...

Hi Kate...very cute key rings...very sparkly. It really is the time of year to watch your favorite Christmassy movie...I was telling another blogger tonight about Since You Went Away and she went right onto Amazon and bought it....I was so happy that someone actually listened to me....it's been years since the husband has so it was a very nice compliment!!

Another Sister said...

"The Bishop's Wife" with Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young is my favorite. It's not Christmas until I watch it.
Cute baubles. No ducks?

Caroline said...

Lovely photos! My all time fav holiday picks are:

Elf
The Holiday
Love Actually
Bad Santa (seriously!)

BB said...

Sweet bokeh!
Watched The Polar Express for the first time last week and was quite swept away by it - lovely to watch with kids...
:-)
BB

Diary From Africa said...

The key chains are delightful & I simply love the vintage tile - it'll make a great gift :)
Lynda, Kilimanjaro, East Africa

Leslie: said...

Do you remember when Oprah did her cross-country car ride with Gayle and they stopped in some little town and she was upset that they only had 500 thread count sheets??? lol And you didn't BUY a set of sheets??? I do love those keychains, though. :D

Hilary said...

That sure is a feel-good movie but more so, your photos and comfy posts always accomplish that. Love the sparklies and the tile.

Sharon said...

Those are cute! I think they'd
make adorable Christmas ornaments.

Mental P Mama said...

Those little key fobs are the cutest things! Come back and we'll go get more;)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Those key chains would make great Xmas ornaments; I did that with a souvenier from "Cats". And the tile is beautiful!

Daryl said...

They are so pretty, you can attach them to a purse ... or I bet they'd make pretty necklaces ... I didnt see the sheets .. GAH .. but I am sorry I didnt get that belt ..

JC said...

I LOVE the Family Man. We watch it anytime it's one tv ..

I like the tile ...

The Weaver of Grass said...

I adore that little giraffe too.

Skogkjerring said...

Hi Kate!! Your key chains are really neat!! Love the sparkly colour in them!! I loved the painting as well...really nice! We love the Family Man also, have it on DVD....in fact, that might be a movie for tonight. Was thinking I might watch the Nobel Peace Prize concert but....ugh...Family Man is better...have a super weekend!

Jo said...

The Family Man is one of my favorite movies. I'm looking forward to watching it this weekend. It's wonderful...!

Love the tile of the flatiron building. Very nice!

Donalyn said...

Those are really cute Kate! I just bought some 1000 count cotton sheets on sale at Overstock for about 60? 70? bucks. They are wonderful. Looks like those are gone now, but they have lots of others. And I love that movie too - as well as second chances. Wow - I can see why it may speak to you even more than to some people...

Donna Boucher said...

I love that movie so much too.

I got it for Christmas last year...but something happened and it is gone.

So sad.

Maybe getting the movie was a dream....

Diane said...

It's one of my favorite movies too. I love when he realizes how lucky he is/was!

Anonymous said...

Lovin' the beaded keychains. I bought a monkey one for my stepdaughter once... I think she still has it on her keychain years later. Love the stars!!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

OK I'm jealous! What fun!
Love those keychains.
And that tile reminds me of a friend of mine!
<><

Swetha said...

wow!! they are so cute! esp the stars..

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

What a fun shopping trip! I understand thread count and everything, but those sheets must be magical to go for that price. Haven't seen "Family Man." It looks like a good holiday movie.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I set an evening aside for a holiday date night, we stay in, cozy up on the couch, in front of the fire and watch The Family Man. It's so wonderful and a great way to spend an evening!

prashant said...

The fish and the rooster are simultaneously whimsical and beautiful.

Work from home India