Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Over the river and through the woods

We headed out early this morning on a trek to Lancaster County, where we planned on shopping for meat and vegetables. It’s a chore that was becoming overdue, as we hadn’t been in several months.

Today we bought lots of chicken, a turkey breast, some Italian sausage and some pork chops. We also got acorn squash, yams, onions, broccoli, giant mushrooms, Stayman Winesaps, grapefruits and some homegrown hemp oil that I hear is quite potent.

Ok. I was totally lying about that last item. But the produce section at Shady Maple is huge. And I love the great variety of vegetables sold there.

I brought the camera with me today, attaching the 70-300 lens, in the hopes that maybe I’d get a couple of decent shots through the car windows. The main problem with shooting from a car window, besides the clarity, is the fact that you’re in a moving vehicle and there’s going to be some blur. Another problem is that oftentimes you see something, and then suddenly you’re already going past it. So for what it’s worth, here are some photos I took along the way this morning.

DSC_0863 copy 2

On the other side of the Welsh Mountain lies our destination: Shady Maple Farm Market in East Earl, PA.

DSC_0856 copy 2

It was wicked cold today and the wind was whipping into a fury with gusts as high as 50 mph. These buggies have blankets inside for heat.

DSC_0902 copy 2

I processed all of these photos using TRA’s Old Skool actions. Afterwards, for most of them, after flattening the image, I ran Pioneer Woman’s Fresh and Colorful action and lowered the opacity substantially.

DSC_0908 copy 2

This young boy was driving a team of draft horses to spread manure this morning.

DSC_0896 copy 2

I can really feel the cold looking at this one.

DSC_0870 copy 2

I stood next to an Amish man in the shoe department at Good’s Store. In his cart was a pale blue shower curtain, a pair of leather work gloves and two bright blue camp chairs. I didn’t have a cart or I would gladly tell you what was in mine.

DSC_0910 copy 4

I think the clothes are dry. Can you see them on the line?

DSC_0875 copy 4

I could smell the familiar scent of manure and it actually smelled like home, like all the horse farms we'd lived on over the years. I’m not saying manure smells good. I’m just saying that it’s an old familiar scent. The scent of wood smoke was also in the air and I love how that smells.

After shopping, we went next door to Good’s Store, a sort of department store with a nice household goods section and a decent section for men’s work clothes, featuring my husband’s favorite brand: Carhart. He bought me a women’s Carhart vest in brown and I now look quite the fashionable country woman. Oh, yes. I may even take photos later, but I highly doubt it.

This afternoon we sat in the sun on the little porch in front of the house. It’s in a protected area, away from the wind which had begun to die down. It was really good to feel the sun on my face and we tossed a new toy back and forth to George.

Hope your day is a good one. Hello to all the new faces who come to visit and welcome back to those who have been visiting here on a regular basis. Always good to have you stop by for a bit.

Until tomorrow, my friends.

36 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

That was such a pleasant visit and nice tour. I love your photography and you picked some really nice shots. I love the horse drawn buggy.

Happy New Year!

Deb said...

The photo's are wonderful. I love the Amish farm and the buggy. That is certainly something we don't see around here.

Kay said...

I love looking at that countryside...I bought myself two Carrhartt t-shirts but for some reason they do not fit well at all. Really weird feeling...I will leave them for the men I fear.
Kay in Oregon

Julie Harward said...

From one country girl to another...I just love you and your beautiful blog! Carharts indeed..love mine too! My ancestors come from Lancaster on my mom's side. She even made a trip there to look up records on her family. I love your photo's so much, you have such a good eye..the cloths on the line and all! I do love the smell of horses, one of my favorite smell is when I'm riding and they get warmed up, the smell of them and the leather is wonderful! The pic. of the team of horses working..what a thing that is in this day, that it still goes on! I love the smell of wood fires burning too, from homes or in the fields...guess I'm still that farmers daughter after all..thanks! Come say hi :D

Deb said...

lovely, but where is the snow?

mom x 2 said...

What a nice visit! I just LOVE your photos!

Have a Happy New Year!

Tom Bailey said...

Those areas are always a reminder of a time that has long passed that still exists.

Thanks for sharing.

The JR said...

Great post. Of course I love all the horse/buggy pictures. I am a horse nut afterall.

It's funny to me when people say horse manure smells bad. I can't even smell it anymore. It's too familiar after all these years.

Mary said...

Oh Kate, I love these photos -- such beautiful processing. Yes, I miss the smell of horse manure, too. And I'm jealous you got to sit outside today -- it's not gotten above 22 degrees here, and the wind is whipping!

My son and I went to a vintage clothing store in Somerville to buy his girlfriend a present. We visited a few antiques stores, too. I just love pawing through other people's junk, and he does, too. lol

Stay warm, and have a happy new year!

Unknown said...

They turned out beautifully! I have been wanting to see Lancaster Co. It looks so incredible.

abb said...

What a loverly day! Love the washed out colors on the photos.

ELK said...

a day time trip with you is such an artistic one...thanks for showing me your part of the world!

Michelle said...

I love the Lancaster area, but it has been quite a few years since I was there. Really enjoyed the processing on the pictures. Very nice.

Country Girl said...

Alas, the snow is all gone, Deb. We had some rain that just kept coming.

~ C.G.

Anonymous said...

When I was a girl and could not afford a horse of my own, I worked at a stable to be near the horses. I never wanted to wash my hands when I came home, I loved the smell. Now that I've had horses at home for 25 years, I no longer smell it, and I miss it!! Pig manure, now that's another story. Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing. And I am playing with textures now, thanks to you. LOVE it. Although I don't have your talent.

Donalyn said...

Nice pics - We often drive through Amish country, and I love it, even if they do hate it when we take their photos. Today though, we sent someone else driving, as the kids are on their way back to Georgia. Kinda sad - I always get a lot of housework done the day someone leaves though. Sounds like you guys had a great day :)

CHummelKornell said...

Wonderful post...made me homesick for Iowa. Love that you took us along on your shopping spree. Would that we might all have such opportunity to go to a market so fine. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Carolynn Anctil said...

There's something so romantic about the Amish lifestyle. From a distance, that is. I regularly give thanks for all my modern conveniences.

Flea said...

Thank you for taking us along!

Gail said...

Are there big beautiful barns in that area with the old symbols on them?

I have always wanted to visit there, maybe someday.

becky up the hill said...

Loved the photo's and journey you took us on. I've seen alot of Amish in the mid-west. I decided that the women must enjoy the cold weather more then the warm, as at least they can get warm. I can't imagin being hot in those long sleeves/skirts/bonnets without even a fan~whew..am having a hot flash. Thanks for the sweet blog. Nice reporting~!

JacksDad said...

What a nice day. I haven't been to Lancaster in a while, but it sounds like it's still as nice as ever!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I ♥ Good's store! Love it, love it, love it. I also love the drive there. Thanks for taking me to one of my favorite places.

Anonymous said...

Bitterly cold here as well with gusts of wind every now and then. Don't think I stepped out of the house even once today, but when Hubby says it's cold, you know it's cold.

Lovely photos and actions on them today!

Di

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Gorgeous pictures. It's always nice to join you on these field trips. You feel like you're right there, only warmer.

word ver: scalent. An itchy dry skin condition brought on by riding in buggies with only a blanket to keep you warm. Requires immediate medical attention.

Hilary said...

Some of my favourite photos are taken through the window of a moving vehicle. I know what you mean about seeing a shot but missing it. I have several in my mind's eye. These turned out lovely. But I still want to see that hemp oil. ;)

Unknown said...

Sounds as though it was a wonderful day....I am so glad that you shared it with us...smiles.

Jeanne Walker said...

I got to go on a field trip with you and didn't need a 'permission slip' from my mommy!

Great pics...we don't expect anything less!!!

Wishing you a very blessed, healthy, prosperous and happy new year!

Hugs to George, Jeanne

primative_man said...

Great shots! Love, love, love the soft focus + light. Annnd your Border Collie is adorable.

Golden West said...

The sepia tones were perfect for your subject matter - charming!

I'm off today to the market for ingredients for your cranberry orange cookies - if they're half as good as your mushroom soup, we may have a new favorite! Thanks!

FireLight said...

Thank you for the tour! I truly enjoy and admire your photography!
Just think, George could make it in this culture...he is always dressed for it! (Also, for formal evenings!)

Word verification for this comment: f a i n g s....
Is that a message from George?

Daryl said...

I am looking forward to making this trip with you sometime in the not too distant future

Gayle said...

I needed a little adventure today and thanks to the post I've already had one! Simply lovely, I enjoyed driving along!

Skogkjerring said...

Funny you posted about photos you took while driving in your car- I posted photos from our car window today too- what a coinky dink!! (probably spelled that wrong but hope you got that...hahaha..
I LOVE the amish in Pennsylvania. I was born and lived my very early years in North western PA- My uncles still live there and my mother is now resting there..it's a special place to me and your photos brought back memories..loved how you gave them an antique look...wonderful- you are truly an inspirational photographer! Have a super New Year celebration tomorrow!!

DesertHen said...

Lovely photos. Thank you for taking us along on your shopping trip.

Jon said...

Felt like watching a documentary. The photos are really beautiful!