Sunday, September 6, 2009

A walk in Central Park, Part 1

Today, because I felt like it and I can do what I want, I drove to the Big City to meet blogger friend, Daryl and then meet up with my son for lunch.

I’d been wanting to visit Central Park, as I’d never been there before. Since my son moved to NYC in the fall of 2007, I’ve visited the city several times and have a rudimentary knowledge of where I am when I’m there. And now that I have the added bonus of meeting a blogging friend and visiting her when I’m there, it makes it even more fun.

DSC_0203 copy 2

So let’s visit the small section of Central Park that I was in today, shall we?

We’re going to the Conservatory Garden. We’ll pass the brick wall that bears the inscription “Girls Gate”, on 5th Avenue & 102nd Street. Did you know that there are 20 gates to get into the park? [link].

It’s a beautiful September day in New York, a little warm when walking about, but cool breezes to be found everywhere plus plenty of shade.

We come to an ornate gate.

DSC_0206 copy 2

This is the Vanderbilt Gate, which originally stood at the mansion on Fifth Ave. & 58th St.

I cropped the crowd below out of the picture. There was a bridal party as well as a Canadian tour bus that had just pulled up. The park is a busy day on a beautiful Saturday in September.

DSC_0211 copy 2

The Italian style garden is directly through this gate. The conservatory consists of 6 acres and is divided into three different landscape styles: Italian, English and French.

DSC_0209 copy 2

Upon entering through the gate, the expansive lawn of the Italian garden greets you. What a beautiful oasis this is. Note the steps on either side of the fountain. They lead to a pergola that is absolutely beautiful.

DSC_0213 copy 2

The Italian garden is bordered to the north and south by allees of crabapple trees. But something’s not quite right with these trees. Besides the fact that the ivy is climbing up their trunks, there’s dying off of the top branches.

Still, it makes a nicely shaded walk with the ornate benches waiting for you to take a quick rest.

DSC_0217 copy 2

To the north is the classical style French garden, with sculptor Walter Schott’s beautiful statue, ‘Three Dancing Maidens’ at the center. This is the Untermyer Fountain, donated to the park in 1947 by the children of Samuel & Minnie Untermyer.

I’ve made a collage of the fountain on my Picture A Day Blog because I was just so taken with it. More to come tomorrow of my walk in Central Park! Check Daryl's blog also, as she and I saw the same things and have different perspectives.

Until then, my friends . . .

30 comments:

Donalyn said...

Lovely Kate - I haven't been to NYC in probably 35 years. Well, I was under it a couple years ago when I had to change trains at Penn Station. It sure looked a lot different than this. ;)

Cindy said...

Beautiful. Looks like a great place to take photos. I've never been to NYC but maybe one day I can visit.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I have never been there...to Central Park, I mean. I have been to NYC, but have seen the park only from a hotel window :0( It looks beautiful!

Mary said...

Beautiful, Kate! Love the crabapple allee. :)

Gail said...

Thank you for showing me the park, I know I shall never see. It was wonderful to see it through your eyes.

Cloudia said...

I enjoyed this very much.
And meeting Daryl?
PRICELESS!

Aloha-

Comfort Spiral

Char said...

beautiful shots - sounds like a wonderful day

Skogkjerring said...

New York City fascinates me to no end..I am intrigued by this town and think that it could offer something for everyone...but at the same time I'm afraid it would be a very unsafe place to visit. Still, I'd love to go see a Macy's Day Parade and experience the lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas tree and walk through Central Park (even more so after seeing your photos) Who knows...maybe someday? Thanks for sharing these photos and a bit of New York with those who haven't dared to go themselves YET....

Hilary said...

Fine photos. I've been near and around Central Park several times, but never through it. Thanks for taking us along.

Jill of All Trades said...

Beautiful. I was there, NYC and Central Park for the very first time last fall. Awesome place. Maybe someday if I go back you and Daryl and I can meet. That would be just wonderful. Carla

Anonymous said...

Can you believe I grew up in a borough of NY and never saw this part of the park. Thank you!.. love the three maidens photo.

Unknown said...

I really want to go to New York for two main reasons...(1)to spend some quality time with Daryl and (2) to spend countless hours in Central Park.

noble pig said...

Thanks for the memories...it has been so long since I've been there.

Daryl said...

Oh these are fabulous ... I had posts scheduled for today so my pix, which are no where near as wonderful, wont be posted for a few days ...meanwhile trust me, you'all have seen the best take on all these ...

Small City Scenes said...

I've never been there either. I have never been east of Idaho!! but I have seen pictures and read about Central Park. I am fascinated by the gates--wow 20 of them and all named--and the sculptures--MORE! MORE!!
Thanks, MB

Debbie said...

Thanks for the tour.....I have never been to Central Park and would love to visit one day.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for that tour of Central Park. When I was in NYC earlier this year we set aside an afternoon to walk there and then it poured with rain, so we people watched from our hotel window instead - now I begin to see what I missed.

Swetha said...

Wow!! thanks for sharing your tour!! the pictures are really fascinating!

olivia said...

I love the Italian garden photo -- it really looks like you visited Europe. NYC and CP are on my list of places to visit one day, but in the meantime I've enjoyed seeing it through your eyes. :)

My name is Christine said...

Hi there=0) Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. It was a very exciting moment for me! I've never been to NYC, I really enjoyed your tour of the park. And your pictures, as always, are always inspirationan.
Cheers:-)

Betty said...

Beatuiful pictures.The Three Dancing Maidens are wonderful.The Italian garden is calming.
I looked at your collage and it was lovely. I wish I had photoshop.

Michelle said...

I've never been to NYC OR Central Park, so thanks for the glimpse! Also, I just HAD to nominate you for an award over at Boulderneigh, though I don't expect you to participate.

Jeanne Walker said...

Kate, thank you so much for the photos and the narrative. If this is Part 1, I am hoping that there are many more Parts to this excusion of yours! I love wrought iron gates and fencing, and the Vanderbilt Gate is beautiful. The Three Dancing Maidens at the Untermyer Fountain are delightful!
I especially like the application you applied to the Maidens photo (and love the collage at your Picture a Day blog). How blessed you are to be in an area where you can visit so many interesting, historic, and simply beautiful places in a very short amount of time. Looking forward to Part 2.
Have a fabulous week! Jeanne
PS: And don't labor on Labor Day!

Mental P Mama said...

What a gorgeous day you all had! Next time? Connecticut!

Deb said...

The only time I've been in Central Park was in the middle of winter. We flew up for our anniversary, stayed at the Plaza, skated in Central Park, took a carriage ride. Ahhh, those were the days!

Quiltpiecer said...

Love your photos! I've always enjoyed photography and now that I'm retired I'd really like to take a class and have more fun with it. Thanks for sharing!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I enjoyed that!
<><

GailO said...

Thanks for taking us along on your photo shoot! It is amazing that each trip to Central Park can be so different...these photos are marvelous but I can't wait to see Daryl's too...

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

I love the fountain! I've only been briefly to Syracuse on the way through to Canada, but someday I'll have to see it properly. I did use to stop every week at the fountain in Madison, Indiana when i was 4 - we use to walk to the library and back, and it was on the way. I guess that's why I love fountains so much.

Golden West said...

I just read your whole series on Central Park and must say you have captured the park in a wonderful way I've never seen before. Thanks for taking me along, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit.