Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Yeah, we're cool

Thanks to all who answered my burning question yesterday. And a special thanks to Starwoodgal for the free photoshop actions and tips! One thing that I learned from everyone's responses to my question is that at ten years of age, all of us were so much more independent that many of the children today. Do children today spend all that much time out-of-doors in the summertime, making their own fun? I don't think so. Unless you're the children on this farm where I'm living now, riding back and forth on their bikes between home and their grandparents home. It's quite a trek through the woods and around the fields. It's really nice to see. They have paths all through the woods near our house, and a little bridge to go over if they're on bikes. But yeah, when we were young, for most of us, the memories are sweet.
I've arranged it at school so that I have Mondays off now. It's just for a few more weeks. You see, in the summer, for two whole months, I have summer hours. They're daily from 8-1, making it 25 hours a week. Well, with the price of gas and the amount of time I drive now, I asked if it would be okay to do all my hours in 4 days rather than stretching it over 5. And it's ok.
This morning, I took George on a walk that lasted well over an hour. The weather wasn't too bad for walking and there was a nice breeze and low humidity. We just stayed out of the sun as much as possible. Afterwards, I ran some errands and ended up tidying up the outside of the house, pulling weeds and trimming bushes a bit. When I finished, I was looking forward to having a glass of mint iced tea in the yard, under the dogwood tree.
And that's where I took these bird photos. It was just so relaxing sitting there and watching the birds flitter about. I like the shapes of the leaves and the tree branches in the one below.

Have a good Tuesday, everyone.

12 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I think it looks like y'all are settling in so great! I hope you got the a/c back on... And George is happy! Wishing you the best.

Pony Girl said...

Really nice bird photos, CG. I like the contrast of the branches and the color of the birds!

Robin Ripley said...

It makes a good deal of sense to limit driving given the prices--and the need to conserve. Good for you for pursuing it.

I adore bird photos. Do you know birdchick?

Robin
Gardening Examiner

Shimmy Mom said...

I know I spent more time outside than my kids do. My hubby and I have to force them outside somedays. I don't get it.
I like all three of the photos but you're right I like the last one best. The bird just pops out against the pretty green leaves and the centering is perfect.

Treasia Stepp said...

I would say it looks like you and the family are settling in rather nicely. That's wonderful. Smart thinking about your job and ways to save on gas. Kudo's for this.

Anonymous said...

Those birdies are so sweet! And lucky you with Monday off! Ah, summer!

Egghead said...

I love the red bird. What kind of bird is it? Beautiful photos as usual.

MAYBELLINE said...

Soothingly beautiful.

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

You really touched a wellspring of memories by asking us all if we remembered being 10. I didn't know anyone back then who stayed in and watched tv when they could be outside playing! We didn't have an air conditioner, I wonder if that had anything to do with it, because it was just as hot inside as out.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

I agree with Rosezilla. At age 10 we didn't have air conditioning, no color TV, and only two channels. Playing outside with friends? It beat being indoors with nothing to do.

I am sooooo envious of your Mondays off! I would LOVE it! Your photos are great, especially the one silhouetted against the leaves. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Mondays off! How great. I love your bird pics, but then I'm quite the bird pic nut. These are great. Say hi to George for me.

Jeannelle said...

Beautiful bird scenes.....a joy to behold!