Thursday, July 3, 2008

A surprise on the milkweed bloom

I took the camera on my walk today with George, making sure to put the macro lens on. I wanted to see if the blackberries were beginning to ripen and some actually were, but not many. On our way up the hill, I saw some milkweed blowing in the breeze. It looked like it had some action going on around it and I saw a caterpillar and a blue bottle fly. They looked really big using the lens.
A quiet day here in Maryland. Just wanted to share these two photos with you.
Readers are invited to jump over to vote for the winner of this month's Photo Contest over at Kacey's blog, Wine on the Keyboard. It's not a request to vote for mine. There are some beautiful entries this month and it's just fun to vote!
UPDATE on the fly: My husband did some research and has found out that this could actually be a cuckoo wasp. He doesn't sound like a very friendly fellow.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station,
through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in.
~George Washington Carver

13 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

That is one BLUE fly! You've got good eyes, and take wonderful photos!

Jeannelle said...

Oh, my.....beautifully unusual scenes here! I snapped a photo of milkweed this morning, too, but such colorful bugs were not in sight!!

And, I love the quote, too, and agree wholeheartedly with it!

Hilary said...

You make bugs look so beautiful. I love that blue one.

Shimmy Mom said...

Who knew that bugs could look so pretty!

Life on an Island said...

Your photos are beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! It was perfect weather yesterday in MD! :)

Anonymous said...

Pretty! I've never seen a blue bottle fly. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by the fly, I've never heard of that!

Looks like we both had a caterpillar day!

Mary said...

Kate, these are amazing!!! A macro is on my Christmas list for sure!
xoxo,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't want to take pictures of BUGS with a macro, but as you know, I SO want a macro.

Tom said...

I love shots like this

Train Wreck said...

Why am I not suprised? Leave it to you to make a bug look beautiful! I love that you too stop to catch the small "little" things in life! You make them more beautiful!

Egghead said...

Amazing shots. I just love that macro lens...it brings out the beauty in everything.