Thursday, July 31, 2008

The place I call home

Aside from a hair appointment around noon and a quick stop at the school to do a couple of things I had left hanging last week, my day today was a quiet one. Of course, there was the daily Big Walk with George, and boy howdy, was it ever humid this morning.
I took these shots this evening after dinner. As most of you know, we just moved into this home. I will come out and say it again that we've never actually owned our own home and it's one thing that I plan on doing in this life, but with my husband's profession, equestrian management, you live on the farm where you are employed and are provided a house with paid utilities.
The home in which we are living at the moment is a sturdy place with some character and was probably constructed in the 50's. It's situated in a semi-private location on the farm at the edge of the woods, the floors are hardwood, the appliances are quite good and although the kitchen floor is a bit dodgy, the house itself is quite nice. It's a ranch home and it has 3 sets of sliding glass doors, two of which lead to small garden areas on the shady side of the house. The pictures here are of this side. I know it looks small, but there's a whole other section on the other side!
Here's the little rock patio that that I've been working on. When we arrived, it was nearly covered with grass and weeds, but you could see that a partially completed rock patio was underneath. I see George has left two of his fetch sticks on the ground there on the right. He has favorite fetch sticks that he keeps in the yard.

The gardens aren't much at all, other than some hostas. In my mind, though, I see ferns and other plants to make it more interesting, but that will come later. The other set of sliding glass doors is off the master bedroom. The frame around this set is in need of repair and the carpenter is coming tomorrow, so I don't want to show you that yet. The house also has a garage, which we've never had before.

When we moved, we did it quickly. My husband lost his job on a Friday, got another job the following Friday and we moved the Friday after that. I rolled with it all, packing like crazy along with him but when we got here, I realized that I had so much work to do just decorating our new place. So, using what I already had and trying to make it look beautiful has been somewhat challenging, but I think I've done it. And this morning, while surfing on the blogosphere (yes, Kacey, I like that word, too!) and reading Donna Boucher's Quite Life blog, I found a link that I found interesting. If you're into decorating, or even if you just enjoy treating your senses to beautiful rooms, or perhaps you'd like to be inspired, please visit this cool link. It's a blog called The Inspired Room and on it, I found a link to a fun picture quiz to help determine your decorating style. Fun!

I've still got some things on my list to accomplish this week, and my friends are coming this weekend to stay overnight. I love when they come. They're so much fun!

Until tomorrow, my friends.

18 comments:

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

Your new house is perfect! Hey, you're living on a HORSE FARM! All my girlhood fantasies run riot when I think about it. (I know, I know, reality and all that, but still...!!!)

I wanted to let you know there is an award for you at my blog, that I think you richly deserve.

Minna Dyer said...

Thanks for the designing link.
You know, I wanted to be an Interior Decorator for a long time. I even made money going over to people's homes to "fix" them and then I'd shop for them. I loved it.
In my next life...

Shimmy Mom said...

It looks like a lovely little home. I bet you are decorating it beautifully. Thank you for the link, I'm gonna go right now, I LOVE decorating!
Enjoy your company.
*hugs*
Heatherann

abb said...

How lovely to fall into a ~home~...

And may your dream come true sooner than later - your own home...it will be good, Kate!

That patio is lookin' good!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Wow, I am oohing and ahhing over your house! What a perfect house & setting! Swoon.

Thanks for linking to me!

Happy day,
Melissa

Leslie: said...

I'm glad things are settling down a bit for you now. And that you like your new home. Thanks for the link about finding your decorating style - I'm going to head over there now! :D

Donna Boucher said...

I love your patio!!! I want a natural stone patio like that and it is not so easy to come by!

It's beautiful.

I also like the star on the side of your house....
I need to get me one of those :o)

Treasia Stepp said...

Your patio is looking good Kate. Love all the shade your yard has. I bet the house is coming along beautifully on the decorating.

Anonymous said...

It's so lush and green there, I love it. I want to visit and I don't care about the humidity because my hair is straight. Maybe it would curl up in all that humidness.

Durante said...

That's such a beautiful front yard! My next place I hope to have so much grass, and the older tree makes it look fantastic.

Mary said...

Oh, I love Melissa at the Inspired Room -- she is the best! What a pretty house -- I just love your stone patio. Have fun decorating, and don't forget to check out the thrift stores!
xoxo,
Mary

Annie said...

Looking back, I think that decorating the rooms after you move has been one thing I have enjoyed...even though it is all a bit stressful when it happens...it is like a clean plate being handed to you to start again on...

enjoy those visitors this weekend Kate...sounds like fun!

Annie

tj said...

...Oh girl, I so wanna live where you're at! It is beautiful! I dunno, there's alot to be said for your way of life. You're getting chances to live a life that some of us only dream about and your lives will never become stagnant or complacent like so many home owners. Yeah, if it's any consolation, home ownership is soooo overrated...lol... ;o)

...Thank you for the sweet comments you leave over at my place Kate. You are the BEST!

...Now I'm gonna go check out that link. I love to decorate and could use some help in that area too... :o)

...Blessings... :o)

Anonymous said...

You're doing a great job on that stone patio. I love a stone patio. So much nicer than poured cement. It looks like you're settling in nicely. I hope you guys are happy there!

dlyn said...

I hope you will show some progress pics of the gardens as they get going. Make sure to get sme toad lilies - they are late bloomers and really make a shade garden special! And I love seeing a little more of your face peeking out... :)

Anonymous said...

OMGosh, woman! You've moved!! How can so much happen in the month I'm absent??? Wow! I see I need to read some older posts to get up to speed!

It does look like a quaint place. Is it quiet and pretty like the last one? How is George adjusting? Did you say "Stuff it" to the internet service with glee?? LOL

OK... gotta catch up with ya and see what the heck happened!! ((hugs))

Meg said...

Awh Kate! I love your new place, congrats and many hugs!!!

the Bag Lady said...

Say, when you're done cleaning up that stone patio, how'd you like to come visit me and clean up mine!? :) That's the problem with those - they look nice, but they are a lot of work to maintain.
Just found your blog via Hilary's, and love your photographs! And your dog! I have a border collie cross - she resembles a BC, and has some of the characteristics - she's bossy!