Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My vacation week begins

Today I didn't stop. I have the week off and originally we'd planned on taking a trip to the Maine coast and visiting Acadia National Park, but with circumstances as they are, that won't be happening. There's always next year. In fact, the very day that my husband was terminated from his former job, was the very day I was mailing our check to the realty office in Maine. At the time, I didn't understand why they needed a check. This was a different realty company we were using and for some reason, they wanted a paper check rather than using our Visa card. Things happen for a reason, don't they?
Regardless, I've got the week off and a list about a quarter of a mile long to accomplish. At the end of the week, our friends are coming to spend the weekend and that makes me happy. I'm planning on making some special treats, using recipes I saw over on Pioneer Woman's cooking site. I'll let you know how they turn out.
Like I was saying, today was busy. I took George out for the Big Morning Walk and he spooked up a wild turkey who's been hanging out on the farm for some reason. Then I ran some errands and afterwards, took my son (he's doing much better, by the way) over to his apartment to pack and help him move his stuff out by Thursday. He was told by the doctors not to do anything strenuous for the next two weeks, so after we packed, I hefted all the stuff out to the car and packed it carefully. Everything fit in our Honda Element with the seats folded up to the sides. The bad thing was that his apartment is on the third floor. And there's no elevator.
The good thing is that my son is well. Let's look at it that way, shall we?
When we got home, I unpacked and then sorted out where everything was going to go. Hung up some pictures on the walls, put up a shelf up in the laundry area, then finished a quilt I'm making, tilled the garden and basted the turkey I had in the oven.
I am so kidding about the last three items. Ha!
By the time 4 pm rolled around, I was exhausted and so I sat down on the couch with my feet up and pulled out a book I'm reading and of course, of course, this is the position my husband finds me in when he comes home. Never fails! Not that he said anything, mind you. But I think he was thikin' it!
The pictures in this post are of my favorite dog taken on Sunday evening, right after the big rainstorm. I went out looking for rainbows but didn't see any. I did see a beautiful happy dog, however!
Until tomorrow, my friends.

19 comments:

Hilary said...

Your life sounds so.. right. I'm happy for you that you've found this place. And thrilled that your son is improving.

Anonymous said...

Sorry your vacation plans fell through, I love rain, too bad you didn't find rainbows, but I bet the smell was amazing!

dlyn said...

Sorry about missing the vacation - sounds like things are turning out well for you this week - enjoy your vacation!

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Doughboy and I agree that the best vacations are staycations. That's a vacation that you spend at home. We don't go away as often as we used to. There's no place like home...I hope you have an enjoyable week. You can make great use of your time by posting lots and lots of photos! What a wonderful treat for your devoted readers...like me ;)

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

P.S. I LOVE your signature! Imitation is the best form of flattery. I hope you don't mind that I created a signature for my blog. You're so creative! Thanks!

MAYBELLINE said...

I have an Element. It's the only thing I could find that my English Mastiff could fit into. Staycations are better than going anywhere. Enjoy!

Jeannelle said...

Glad to hear your son is better!

As soon as I read you finished a quilt, I thought.....geez-loueez.....how can she possibly get all that done in one day!

Enjoy your vacation time!

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, you had me going...I was thinking, how did she have time to do all that?

Hilarious. But so glad your baby is doing well.

Treasia Stepp said...

You really had me going with the whole making a quilt thing. LOL. I was believing you and thought "My god she is tired".

Pony Girl said...

Who's your favorite dog again?! Just kiddin! ;) Handsome George!

Glad to hear your son is feeling better. That is really scary and he did the right thing to take aspirin and call you. He should never be afraid to just call 911 too, that is what they are there for. You know, a few years ago I had an inflamed something (muscle?) in my ribs (near my heart area) and the pain terrified me. I thought I was having heart issues. It was the first time I really realized how important our hearts were. It was like, um, if that stops beating, I'm in big trouble! So I understand your son's fear.

Looks like you are enjoying the new place. Hopefully you'll get a lot of things done on that to do list!

Mental P Mama said...

I was totally believing everything...so glad your baby is doing well. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your son is doing better and feeling well. It sounds like you have been very busy! Were you wearing your heals while you did all that work and cooking? Hee Hee :)

Mary said...

And here I thought the turkey you were basting was the one that George spooked on your walk!

Just kidding.

So glad to hear your son is better. My brother-in-law had a friend who suffered the same thing, but the doctors did not catch it at first, and she had a very hard time of it. It's good that your son went to the emergency room quickly.

I'm loving all the pics of the new place. Keep 'em coming!
xoxo,
Mary

abb said...

Well, you fooled me. I could smell the turkey roaasting! Do take a little time for yourself this next week...

So good to hear your boy is doing well!

Life on an Island said...

It looks like a beautiful place to live. Enjoy your week off and your friends at the end of the week.
George is beautfiul.

Shimmy Mom said...

My hubby always comes home when I've sat down to blog. And he DOES say something. *ERRR* Oh well, he still loves me.
I so glad to hear that your son is doing well, and that everyone is getting settled.
Sorry you don't get to go to Maine this year, but try to enjoy your time off anyway!
*hugs*
Heatherann

Egghead said...

Glad to hear your son is doing better. Oh the days of moving children out of apartments on upper floors with no elevators! I have had several of those. I guess for those times I at least got my exercise in. Lovely photos as usual.

Jules said...

My husband just went back to work after several long months:) Sorry to hear about your aborted travel plans...Why not bring the coast to you..invite some friends over, haul in a little sand, build a bonfire, then have a clambake finished with a gooey s'more!

Thanks for the visit...enjoy your vacation!

Jessica Stier said...

I'm glad your son is feeling better.

The minute I read the list of things you did, I thought to myself, "I need to take a nap!!!" Then I read the next sentence and was instantly rejuvenated. You crack me up!!!

~Jessica
www.momshots.com