Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mighty Oak

Yesterday afternoon, I took a little walk down to the entrance gate to take some pictures of the roses that are growing there. Using my macro lens, I snapped this one while walking back up to our house. It captured the sky incorrectly, as it was blue, and the only thing I did with the pic was to run PW's Lovely and Ethereal action on it real quick. There's George, looking a little deflated, after the squirrel he was chasing ran up the oak tree.

This oak tree is the first thing you see when entering the farm. It's majestic and this picture isn't even doing it justice. Some day soon I'm planning on getting another photo of it that showcases how powerful it looks. But for now, here's the mighty oak, taken with my little macro lens. It remined me of a poem that has to do with self-esteem.

The Oak Tree

A mighty wind blew night and day

It stole the oak tree's leaves away

Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark

Until the oak was tired and stark

But still the oak tree held its ground

While other trees fell all around

The weary wind gave up and spoke.

How can you still be standing Oak?

The oak tree said, I know that you

Can break each branch of mine in two

Carry every leaf away

Shake my limbs, and make me sway

But I have roots stretched in the earth

Growing stronger since my birth

You'll never touch them, for you see

They are the deepest part of me

Until today, I wasn't sure

Of just how much I could endure

But now I've found, with thanks to you

I'm stronger than I ever knew

by Johnny Ray Ryder Jr .

Hoping you're all having a wonderful Sunday. Until tomorrow, my friends.

8 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

After all you've been through lately, you remind me of an oak, Kate. Strong, dependable, protector (this may be grammatically incorrect, but you get my drift), and lovely. Looks like you're adjusting quickly to your new home. Love the photos!

Russell said...

What a beautiful image of the oak tree, the lane, the fence and, of course, George!

This image made me remember something I had forgotten about for a long time. When I was a child (and that WAS a long time ago!!) I always associated summer with a scene exactly like this! Well, maybe in place of the fence there was a lake close by, but this is awfully close to what always went through my mind!

Oak trees have always been in my group of favorite trees if not favorite.

I really enjoyed this image. More importantly, I certainly everything is okay with your son!! Keep in mind medicine today is so advanced it is wonderful. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Take care.

dlyn said...

This is a nice photo, but I can't wait to see what you do with the wide angle on. Why do we always have the wrong lens on?

Just catching up from the past couple days - hope your son is still improving & I will be praying that there is no permanent damage.

Mental P Mama said...

Beautiful shot and beautiful words. Quite the metaphor for you...

Anonymous said...

hm, I'll trade you my wide angle for your macro lens for just a bit *g...

I find trees hard to photograph though, unless they are standing alone. I've been trying to get a good pic of the bradford pear tree in our front yard for a blog post...but it just blends into the neighbors trees in the photo.

Country Girl said...

I know, Kacey, trees are easier when they're alone. And inadvertently, I guess, I do feel like the tree in this picture. Not the alone part, but the unbending and strong part. Mostly, anyway.

Russell, good to see you back again! Good to see all of you, really.

Shimmy Mom said...

I love that poem, thanks for sharing. I think you pic looks great.
*hugs*
Shimmy

Egghead said...

Wonderful poem and it certainly seems like it fits your circumstances. Hope all is continuing to improve for you and your family.