Saturday, July 12, 2008

The future is promising

When we last left off on this story yesterday, my husband had just been terminated from his job of 10 years on the beautiful horse farm in Maryland on which we live.
We were shocked, to say the least and if you've been following this blog, you've seen where I live and you'll understand my heartbreak.
My husband has a lot of connections in the horse world, and we called them all. I talked to some of the parents at school who are also involved in the business, and they said they'd keep an ear open. I checked the internet every day, but we didn't want to pay the fee for Equimax, the employment service.
My husband heard from the blacksmith that a farm manager job had just come open on one of the big breeding farms over the state line, in Pennsylvania. We'd already heard about it and decided we wanted something a little more low key. Maybe a lot more low key. So we didn't call and hoped that we were doing the right thing. It's a hell of a lot of work running a breeding farm and the responsibility for the care of all the horses is great. It's almost overwhelming, actually. And then there's the foaling. Basically, you're always on call. And you work every day during breeding season. Think about that for a minute. Every. Single. Day. From January 15 through July. It ain't easy, my friends.
I remember years gone past where my husband would go to sleep and end up getting up three different times during the night for foalings. He'd get about 2 hours total sleep and have to get up at 5:30 to be at work by 6 the next morning. He really wasn't looking forward to doing all that again.
So we sat down and I asked him what he really wanted, what he really could see himself doing, and he answered that he just wanted to work, to be productive,to be appreciated, to maintain a small farm, a couple hundred acres maybe, for a retired couple who maybe still had their hand in horses. It would also be good to have other animals on the farm, too. And a little house with a fireplace. And a garden.
When he told me all this, these are the things I prayed for. I prayed that he would find a job with all these things. When you think about it, they're not much, are they? But it's all he wanted. I really hoped to keep my job, too, but this I knew would probably be impossible. At least it was summertime, and I wouldn't have to leave the school in a lurch during the school year.
Days later, we heard on the news that there are more and more people being let go from their jobs. I began to think that our situation could last months. I started having trouble sleeping at night and concentrating at my job. I made stupid mistakes and became angry with myself. And then I decided that I needed to think like a retired person who has acreage and horses and needs help. Where would they advertise? Probably not on the internet. So I check the local newspaper over the Maryland border, up in Pennsylvania. Luckily, I know this paper. We used to live up that way.
The search engine for their classifieds are annoying and frustrating. I know that there must be horse jobs, but when I enter horse or farm as a keyword, they have nothing for me. I'm on my lunch break at work, and I got so frustrated that I hit the x to get out of the page, but instead I hit something else and a classified ad pops up on the screen. It says it's looking for a horse farm manager and offered a house and insurance. References required. And it was posted that very morning.
It looks exactly like what my husband is looking for, and when I go home and show it to him, and he calls, I decide to leave him to it and take a quick walk down the driveway with the dog. And when I come back 10 minutes later, he's still talking to them and laughing on the phone.
What's this, I think? And then he asks the name and I'm shocked. I will not tell you who they are, or where they live. But they're well-known and not just to people like us who know horses. They say they will call back after they check his references. And so we wait. The tension is high because we know there's no way that this could be this easy. After only a week without a job, could this actually happen?
Finally, on the 4th of July, he has an interview at 8:30 in the morning. It's a beautiful farm of 200 rolling acres. There are about 20 horses, several retired racehorses living out their old age with dignity and care, several ponies for the grandchildren who also live on the farm, a beautiful pond with wood ducks and geese and best of all, sheep! When the owners meet George, they are excited. A border collie who perhaps can be taught to herd! George would love that.
We walked over to the house and it's quite nice. It also has a fireplace and a 2-car garage. And as I stood on the lawn, and listened to my husband being offered the position, I realized that everything I'd prayed for had come true. And walking back to the barn, the owner said to me, "We prayed for someone like your husband. His references were excellent." And I stopped and told her that I, too, had prayed. And then she looked at me, and with a twinkle in her eye said, "I think that life is really all about timing, don't you?" I agreed. And as I looked at my husband's new boss, I knew then that we were going to land on our feet. As you're reading this, we will have moved in. There's much to do as we head into this next chapter in our lives and I may not be able to post for a few days, but you're not going to believe this next part . . . Verizon FiOS is available on the farm! Wow! I have set pictures to autopost every day on my photography blog, A Picture A Day. It's easier for me at this point.
To those who have been following this blog, thank you so much for your support. Please understand why I haven't been able to visit you all this week. And to those new readers who have been leaving comments, I can't wait to have some time to stop by your blogs and to welcome you to mine. Please understand why I can't do so just now.
Until next week, my friends. Oh, the picture on this post was taken on the new farm, just after the interview. It was raining lightly. This is the area behind our house.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful news! I'm so happy to hear that you and your husband have found a new place.

Quite a while ago, I can remember the day I was 'let go'. It was a HORRIBLE feeling. I stressed, cried, blah-blah-blah. Less than a year later I found myself working at a BETTER place, recently married and looking to buy our first home. I very clearly remember thinking, "Huh...all that time I spent stressing about what was meant to be?!".

It's nice when life allows things to fall into place :) Good luck with the move!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Dear Kate,

I am SO happy for you and your DH! I've been praying for you, too.

Some time back, David McMahon (authorblog) asked "what brings tears to your eyes?" I don't often tear up, but I've got tears running down my face right now after reading this post!

May God Bless you and DH, and the wonderful people that are your new employers. It was no mistake or coincidence that your mouse clicked on something other than what you intended.

God is Good!

Anonymous said...

WOW Kate...

God is soo good to us. I'm thrilled for the two of you. Love...Lori

Jessica White said...

There are tears in my eyes. I'm so glad that this has worked out wonderfully for you: God certainly has his own timing and plans!

Good luck!

Jessica

Anonymous said...

OMG, that is an amazing and happy ending. I am just ecstatic for you...you and your hubby sound like such good people! Can't wait to see all your new pics, with Verizon!

That foaling job sounds like my hubby's daily job as an OB/GYN, however it lasts 365 days a year. Ugh. Sometimes he doesn't sleep for 48 hours at a time between deliveries, surgery, office, meetings...it's horrible isn't it?

dlyn said...

Well, I hope you are happy - you made me cry! That's ok - be happy - I certainly am for you!

Amongst The Oaks said...

Congratulations! That is such good news. Ah the power of prayer.
Hugs, Laura

RiverPoet said...

God is good, Kate! I had you in my heart last night as I was praying. I couldn't imagine the stress you were under, and then God answered your prayers. You went to Him with an open heart and He answered. What a blessing! And George even landed a possible job, too? Wonderful! A tired Border Collie is a good Border Collie.

Peace - D
(formerly "Momma")

Treasia Stepp said...

I had tears of happiness in my eyes while reading this. I am so happy for the both of you and George as well. Your new backyard looks beautiful and so green.

Now hurry and unpack and get back to us soon.

Shimmy Mom said...

Oh Kate! I am sooooo happy for you!! I cried as I read today's post and I'm going to go say a prayer of thanks right now! The farm looks beautiful and sounds perfect. HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY!

MAYBELLINE said...

And I continue to be envious. Congratulations.

Mary said...

Dear Kate,
How wonderful!!! I am so glad that your husband got the job of his dreams, and that you will be living on another beautiful farm. Oh, and I'm sure George is going to have a lot of fun, too! Can't wait to see more of the new place...

Hope you get a chance to relax just a little this weekend!
xoxo,
Mary

tj said...

...Oh I am so happy for you I could just cry! Believe it or not I was just thinking of you this morning on my drive back from the bank. You had crossed my mind and I said a lil' prayer for you as I was driving and now after reading this God was up there all along sayin, "they've been taken care of - your prayers are answered"...(*happy sigh*) :o)

...That is a lovely view and somehow the words, "I am happy for you" doesn't suffice, but I so am Kate.

...Hugs and blessings to you both...(and George too!) :o)

Anonymous said...

well, heck! All this going on!! But I'm so happy for you!! Wow, everything so fast! I'm just sure this is going to be exactly the right place for you guys. And George.

Sometimes just the right door is opened at just the right time.

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

How absolutely wonderful, beautiful, and delightful!

I am just in awe...
God is truly in your lives....

olivia said...

Oh my! Wonderful news Kate -- I'm so happy for you and your husband!

Anonymous said...

I am very excited for you! I hope you are doing well and are all settled in! I am looking forward to hearing more about your new home! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your great new adventure. God has blessed you, your hubby & George as you settle into your new home and life is truly all about the timing...

Laura ~Peach~ said...

Awesome!!!! I am so happy for you and GOd Always answers prayers... I can't wait to get to know you better as well!
Again Congratulations!
God Bless
Laura

Chocolate Cat said...

Kate, I am so pleased for you and your husband. Life certainly works in mysterious ways. Looking forward to hearing all about your new home when you are settled.

Egghead said...

I am so happy for both of you. Amazing story...I especially love that this was exactly what your husband had in mind. God has blessed you and you are where you need to be....I firmly believe that. When things just fall into place like this there is a higher power at work. Blessings!

Hilary said...

I'm tickled pink for you, Kate. That's just wonderful news!

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Isn't change the pits? I always seek comfort in the safe routes and avoid momentous change. But sometimes life throws us a curve ball and change becomes an inevitable choice. I am so glad it all worked out for you, hubs, and George. You are a constant inspiration to me by your stories and photography. I look forward to learning and viewing your new surroundings. Your experience became the inspiration to my latest blog post. I hope you'll find time to stop by and visit again soon. I miss you!

Hugs!

Mental P Mama said...

That is the best news I've heard all week! So happy for you both. Oh, and George, too!

Jo said...

Kate, my heart actually skipped a beat when I read this. I am so happy for you and your hubby, AND George.

Sometimes things happen in the universe that we do not understand, but they happen for a reason, and yes, it's all about timing!

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing more.

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased for you that everything worked out so well! Looking forward to your continued adventures...

Anonymous said...

Wow! Prayers answered - Amen.
:)

Jessica Stier said...

How wonderful that your prayers were answered so quickly and in exactly the way you desired! I'm so excited for you new adventure and look forward to seeing more photos from your beautiful new local.

Congratulations, Kate!!!

~Jessica
www.momshots.com

Marchelle said...

how wonderful!!! i'm glad everything worked out for you, and i can't wait to see more of the new place!

Jeannelle said...

Many congratulations and good wishes! I love the miraculous way you found the ad for the job! Hope all the moving goes very smoothly!

Train Wreck said...

I knew it! I read and commented on one of your posts, I knew something was going on. I also knew when you were ready you would share! So I have just kept you in my thoughts and prayers! I had a lump in my throat while reading this post, worried, concerned, heavy hearted and at last happy for you! Congratulations! What a blessing to you and your husband & your new friends, (employers) Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today. As I was reading your latest post, I actually got goosebumps for you! What a happy turn of events. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and that the lemon you were handed will indeed become a crystal pitcher of refreshing lemonade. I'm looking forward to following as things progress. LOVE your photos, BTW.

Ellyn said...

So thrilled for you. My mom Dlyn sent me to look at your photography and I had to read your story too. I am so glad you are going to be OK. God does great things doesn't he.

Ellyn said...

Oops. Forgot to mention that beautiful photography.

You truly have gift. I will definately be back to see more. Thanks you so much for sharing.

Your dog is really cute too.

Country Girl said...

Thanks so much everyone. Life is back on track after a really stressful few weeks. Thanks for the prayers and for being here for me!

~ C.G.

Neoma said...

When I was young there would have been nothing I would have enjoyed more than working on a breeding farm. Even to this day, my love of horses hasn't waned. I lived on 1200 acres once, and we raised horses, but on a small scale.....