Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Taking the long way home

Inspired by a fellow blogger, I decided to take the long way home from work this afternoon. After travelling over the bridge that crosses the C&D Canal, I went through the town of Chesapeake City. I travel over this bridge every single day and I love it because it's very high and the views are incredible. On a clear day, I can see west almost to the Elk River which flows into the Chesapeake Bay, and east to the Delaware River. The Chesapeake & Delaware Canal is a short cut for ships to get from the Chesapeake Bay to the Delaware River and the ports of Wilmington, DE and Philadelphia, PA. And to infinity and beyond!
I stopped by the newly-built viewing platform at the waters' edge where I snapped the first photo. My favorite restaurant is off to my right. We enjoy bringing our visitors to this little town for a wonderful meal and a walk about afterwards. My husband and I have been coming to the same restaurant since the early 1980's when we lived in Pennsylvania. Back then, it was well over an hour's drive to get to the place, but the food was and still is incredible.
I got back in the car and headed homeward, passing the nursery that's near my home. I was thinking of taking a picture of the trees lined up like this for one of Miriam Lovell Dyer's photo assignments last week. But I didn't have my camera with me. Besides, I shot this one out of the car window, so it's not lined up like I would have preferred. It still gives you a sense of depth, though. And this nursery is huge.
Then I saw this beautiful tree and got out to take a close-up shot. I wanted to ask my husband what kind of tree this was, but he went to bed early tonight, and it's not in our Audubon tree book! Nor can I find it on the internet. It looks almost like a chrysanthemum-flowered magnolia but it doesn't have enough petals.
I came home and heard about what a naughty dog George had been this afternoon. He didn't come when he was called and he could tell by the sound of his father's voice that he'd done something wrong today. So he hid behind me. Naughty dog for his father, sometimes George is. (Sounded like Yoda there, didn't I?)
I ended my afternoon by taking George for the first walk since my knee surgery. We went down to the end of the driveway and back, staying on the macadam farm road. Yay for me! I did it.
Sometimes taking the long road lends itself to a few surprises, doesn't it? I don't often come this way, but I'm glad I did today.

Hey, I warned you not to get too excited here. If you're looking for excitement, you've definitely come to the wrong place! Unless you're into inter-species love. Oh, yes. Just see the post below . . .

14 comments:

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Beautiful! Those flowers in the photo with the bridge are so pretty! I was just thinking today how I can not wait for some flowers to start blooming around here.

Anonymous said...

Japanese Magnolia? That's SuperGuy's guess. But it's hard to tell without knowing what size the blooms are. Taking the long way home sounds great! I love doing that.

Country Girl said...

Beth, I guess it's still pretty chilly in Western PA, right?

Thanks Kacey and SuperGuy! It is a Japanese Magnolia. I checked it out on the internet and every picture I saw matches the tree from today. Thanks so much.

~ C.G.

Treasia Stepp said...

You have a beautiful drive home. Just gorgeous.

Jeannelle said...

Oh, good for you, for taking the long way home!! I love the bridge and the daffodils! The bridge resembles one over the Mississippi at McGregor, Iowa.....but I see it only once or twice a year.

And the nursery.....very eye-pleasing photo subject! And you took it out of the car window....wow!

Those tree blossoms are stunning!

I enjoyed your long way home tour!

dlyn said...

What a lovely drive you have Kate. I love the line of trees. It always amazes me how much difference a couple hours driving makes in how warm it is. I love seeing what I have to look forward to in just a couple weeks.

gail said...

Gosh what beautiful photos. I am so ready for spring. Thank you for a little bit of it online.

Meg said...

Kate, I swear...your pictures make me smile, every single morning!

Bekah said...

I was going to offer a quess on your magnolia flower...but I didn't get here fast enough I see!

Still..lovely pics.

Anonymous said...

I learn something new everytime I visit. I have seen this tree and had no idea what it is. Good shots and the one with the bridge, well, it still makes Jay's you know what, pucker. He hates heights.

Glad your knee is doing better.

Love,

FAVE BABE

Jo said...

Those magnolias are magnificent. The magnolias are blooming in Vancouver as well. Spring is here.

I'm glad to hear your knee is feeling better.

And George is still the world's cutest dog, even if he is naughty!

Country Girl said...

Glad to give a taste of spring to those who it hasn't yet arrived!

The naughty ones are always the cutest ones, aren't they?

~ C.G.

Neoma said...

I think I will have to add you as a link, I love horses, and always wanted to live anywhere they were present. I owned four back in the 70's when I was living on a ranch. But moved and had to sell my horses. Still do miss them and always wanted to have them again. But it didn't happen. I love your pictures. I will return when I have more time to actually read. :):)

Minna Dyer said...

I love the nursery shot. You have a good eye for repetition in nature.

My husband and I got a good laugh out of the comment you left on "Powers of Nature". He had to share it with someone else.
Thanks.