Monday, April 7, 2008

A pebble for your thoughts

It's been a relaxing Sunday with rain this morning followed by a chilly, gray afternoon. I was trying to follow a tutorial in my Scott Kelby Photoshop book; one that I saw that was indicated "for pros only" but I tried, nonetheless. And failed, again. I've tried this one before and still quite can't get all of it. It's making a gallery print. I just can't get the border around the photo.

I took this photo with our little Sony Cybershot point & shoot on Pebble Beach at Acadia National Park in Maine. The 'pebbles' are actually stones that are surprisingly difficult to walk upon, but they're beautiful.

My husband and I have a 2 month window of time that we can take vacation somewhere together. Because of our jobs, July and August are the only two months that we're able to do this. Today, I was dreaming of our visit last year to Maine. At the last minute, we decided that's where we were going and within the space of 3 days, I'd booked us what turned out to be the most wonderful place we've ever stayed. It was an odd-shaped home, like a series of blocks, built on the side of a slope, into rock. It sat on one of the thousands of bays along the coast of Maine and had a wonderful water view and its own little beach. It wasn't a beach you could actually sit upon, but still, it was beautiful. There was also a hot tub that I soaked in every day when we returned from our hikes.

We were about a half hour drive away from Mt. Desert Island, our daily destination. We hiked several trails there, sometimes staying out the entire day. In my youth, this would have been a complete breeze. But I found it difficult, and extremely rewarding at the same time. Acadia National Park is one of the country's most beautiful parks, and the ocean views afforded from so many different places are incredible. I will post some of the pictures from time to time on this blog.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the Photoshop!
I have heard that Maine is beautiful. Sounds very relaxing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely place.

Is the Kelby technique like this video tutorial:
http://www.photosmastery.com/photoshopvideotutorials/galleryPrint2008-22-01/galleryPrint.html
?

Anyway, I think your gallery print looks good. :)

Anonymous said...

Let's try that link again...

http://tinyurl.com/4adenx

Country Girl said...

Hillybilly2, thanks for visiting!
Welcome.

Christine, thanks for sending the link. It's how to do the basic one, like the one I have here. Scott Kelby's has a thin border around the photo itself using the stroke key. It's the only piece I'm missing. But thanks for sending it. Interesting site!

~C.G.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm glad i found you (thru one of your comments on Ree's site)! I'm from Maine and also a former horse owner, so you're hitting all my "homesick" spots at once! :D

Country Girl said...

Laura, seems like you're at the right place. Welcome.

~ C.G.

Mental P Mama said...

Ah, Maine in August...such heaven.

Jo said...

The pebbles in your photo look exactly like the pebbles on the beaches here. They're pretty, but they're hard to walk on. They make great skipping pebbles, though. Have you ever done that? Skipped pebbles over the water?

Gosh, Maine sounds beautiful...!

Jeannelle said...

Your time in Maine sounds heavenly.....I have a dream to someday visit New England and the Atlantic Provinces.

I love your pebble photo! Sunday afternoon I was walking out in the fields and picked up a pile of pretty "rocks"....and took pictures of a grouping of them this morning!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of trying that same photoshop trick. I'll let you know if I can figure out the border around the photo thing.

I think Maine in the summer sounds great. That's one area I haven't really visited.