Sunday, April 20, 2008

Ode to a ladybug

I was out in my yard the other day and decided to head inside. As I got near the steps to the porch, I happened to look down and see a ladybug on a blade of grass. So, of course, I ran inside to get the camera and put on the macro lens. I got down on the ground and watched the ladybug stop, then open its wings just a little, then open them even more, slipping one of its wings out. I was hoping to catch it fly away, as well, but it just put the wing back inside and kept crawling.

Later on, I was surprised upon opening them up in Photoshop to see that the little ladybug had something on the bottom of it. If you look closely at the picture, you will see that the ladybug had climbed through some pollen that can be seen at the bottom of the picture, on one of the blades of grass. Interesting, what you can see through the macro lens, isn't it?


How brave a ladybug must be!
Each drop of rain is big as she.
Can you imagine what you'd do,
if raindrops fell as big as you?

~ Aileen Fisher

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos!! Great capture!

Jen said...

I thought the asian lady beetle (what that appears to be) was different from ladybugs, but I guess it is actually just a type of ladybug? I'm rather confused now. ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures, wow!

Jeannelle said...

Great poem and photos! I was just about to write a post about the ladybug that was walking across my hymnal today in church.

Russell said...

Often the best things in life are those that are missed because of our daily rushing around.

If a person takes a few moments once in a while and justs actually sees what is around, well, it can be quite amazing.

Mary said...

My family thinks I'm nuts when I rush in to get my camera...your pictures are fantastic! Have a great week. :)
xoxo,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Great pics. I need one of those cameras with one of those lenses!

Egghead said...

Great photos. I used to just love ladybugs but now, not so much. They invade our house by the thousands every year....and they have a stinky smell when you vacumn them up.

Country Girl said...

Jen, you're right. It is an Asian Lady Beetle and, according to the Ohio State Univ. Extension office, also called a ladybug.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hse-fact/1030.html
Thanks so much for pointing it out to me! I was just looking for someone to say 'ladybug' and you knew exactly what it was!

Welcome to Kareer Woman. Glad you stopped by to visit.

Thanks to all. Your comments make it all worth it!

~ C.G.

olivia said...

What a beautiful photo! And I love that little poem ... it's perfect. :)