Monday, April 28, 2008

Mystery tree has truly been identified now

In the interest of journalistic integrity, I must admit that I had incorrectly identified this tree the other day. I had thought that this was a Red Maple, but wasn't truly sure, because I couldn't find my husband's dendrology book.
Enter my friend, Katie, who not only surprised me with her knowledge, but who was only too happy to help solve this mystery.
What we have here, according to Katie, is a Striped Maple (Acer Pensylvanicum). Katie says:

Look how the three tips of the leaves are almost the same length. And the flowers, pendulous, drooping, dare I get to say it: a raceme.

I have helped resolve a mystery, and I got to use a word I never do. Raceme isn't as good a word as frolic or whatever your favorite equivalent is, but golly. I feel fufilled. Happy day, thank you. ~Katie

So thanks to you, Katie, for letting me know what this tree is in such a prolific way with your vocabulary featuring adjectives such as pendulous, drooping, and dare we say yet again, a raceme. And raceme is an excellent word, Katie. You have truly shown your inner geek and I applaud you!

4 comments:

Dr.John said...

All that over a maple tree.

Anonymous said...

I learn something new every day on your blog!! Tell your hubby, dog-gone-it, it *is* important! ;-)

Pat - Arkansas said...

Glorious, glorious photo of the tulip! I enjoyed the education about the Striped Maple. Can't recall that I've seen one of those in my part of the country, but now I'm going to be on the lookout. I really enjoy your blog. Thanks for the interesting posts and the great photos! (loved the geese photos)

Country Girl said...

Thanks Pat! Glad you like it here. Hope you keep coming.

Christine, I'll tell him.

And Dr. John:
Yes, of course all this over a maple tree.

~ C.G.