Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kim, with some Photoshop action

My beautiful niece, Kim, is extremely easy to photograph. I don't think I've ever taken a bad picture of her since the day she was born. Some people are just easy to capture on film. That is one of the many things I've learned in all these years. Other people have to be coaxed, and caught just right, and it's probably why I stick to landscapes, macros and horses and dogs. Oh, and don't be confused by the word film. I'm into digital, but I still talk film sometimes.
When I'm in the right mood, I do enjoy taking pictures of people, even though I don't think it's a strongpoint of mine. I'd like to be better at it, so it's a goal.
The picture shown here was accomplished in Photoshop using two of the actions available in Pioneer Woman's free action set #1.
First I fixed the photo slightly to my liking. Then I ran PW's "B&W Beauty" action making the picture black & white. Then I flattened it and ran PW's "Soft & Faded" action, which lent a slight sepia tone. If you use Photoshop, these actions are a nice add-on.
Here's the original SOOC (straight out-of-camera shot) above and the finished one below. The color picture is fine, but it wasn't doing anything for me. I love how the sepia tones add to the mystery behind the sunglasses, which for me are the focal point. Well, that and her beautiful hair with the little wisps.
BTW, I texted her and let her know she's going to become famous. I think she's laughing right now.

11 comments:

gail said...

I think I see you in those glasses.

Country Girl said...

I think she's texting someone in those glasses. That's what I think!

olivia said...

Definitely a beauty!

One of my goals is to work on taking shots of people too ... :) I've recruited a friend who agreed to help me (she has gorgeous eyes), but I agree -- taking photos of flowers and bugs and clouds come so much easier ... :)

Hope you have a wonderful w/e!

Judy said...

I found you though PW comments. Like your site and will bookmark.
See you later.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Your niece is gorgeous!! I love photographing people! I figure if I can get good with my own kids, I can photograph most anyone. LOL

Pony Girl said...

Great pic! I love photographing people, but never have any that want to be my subjects. So I'll stick to horses for now!

abb said...

She's a beautiful girl!
I thought that was you taking the pic in her glasses, but I think you're right - it's your niece doing what all young people do these day with great ease (unlike me - takes me 30 minutes to text 2 words), texting!

Russell said...

Some people are naturally photogenetic (sp?) - can always take a good picture!

I enjoyed the pictures of the horses in your earlier post.

I have absolutely no idea of what your mystery pic is. I am tempted to say the yello ovals are seeds of a fruit - such as if you cut open a fruit and exposed the seeds. I will be interested in seeing what this is....

tj said...

...Hello Kate, your niece is beautiful! I could see where photographing her would be an easy task...

...Great job! And I'm not even gonna guess on the Guessing Game Photo - I haven't a clue...

...Blessings... :o)

Anonymous said...

I really like that one in the sepia tones! Great lighting on it too. I'm still working on learning to get the light right on photographing people. My boys are so tired of me shoving my camera in their faces...but, whatever, they owe me :-)

Donna Boucher said...

This is so gorgeous!!!!