Tuesday, April 8, 2008

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways on my paws

This post was meant for yesterday. I'd written it Sunday afternoon and was planning on posting it that evening for the next day. However, when I came back to check it before clicking "publish", I thought "Oh, my God, they'll all think I'm crazy." So I didn't click the button. Instead, I quickly wrote another post and used that one. At school today, I told a couple of people what I had done and they immediately said, "Oh, but you HAVE to publish that one." Don't expect much, really now. I'm sure they'll tease me all week about my dog being in love with the cat, or the cat from 'the wrong side of the farm'. Good thing I'm tough and can take it. And so here it is . . .

This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands and have taken a pain pill. Yes, I broke down Sunday afternoon and took one. I overdid it Saturday; let's leave it at that.

My husband was probably sick of seeing me limping about all hurt, and then he suggested I take a pain pill. I reached for the Advil but he said, "just take the real ones, Kate. I promise you that you'll feel better". Oh, and he was correct. I do. I do. I do. Feel better.

But this is what happens when I'm in lah-lah-land and out of pain and my camera with the zooooom lens is at hand and I'm sitting on my little couch. Regular readers of this blog will remember the stray cat that I've been feeding. I've been chided for not taking it in and/or naming it, but I'm over it. If you had any idea of the amount of stray cats I've seen on the horse farms I've lived. And how many I've named and taken in. Oh, don't get me going on this subject. Anyway, I feed it. I say 'it' because I don't know what sex it is. It doesn't let me get that close. But George, well he loves this cat. And the cat? Well it truly loves my dog.




The rain has stopped and there is suddenly a multitude of birds at the feeders. Here, SC is crouching while he was looking at all those lovely birds. He hears a noise behind him. It's his dog friend coming. "Hello, my friend", says the cat.




As you can see, George is very excited to see his cat friend.





"Hello to you", says George who proceeds to have a lie down to cuddle (read: chew) his best buddy. They do this all the time. The cat really does seem to enjoy it.




"What's that you say? I can't hear you. Oh, you love me?" asks George.




"Ah. You had me at hello", says George.

"You complete me", says the cat.


Cue Bruce Springsteen's "Secret Garden".

Press comment button for more.

24 comments:

Country Girl said...

Helen, if you are reading this, oh I can just imagine your eyes rolling right now. I know you've always thought I was crazy. Especially when I married your brother! I'm just having fun. I hope I got a smile out of you.

Anonymous said...

You are wacky Kate, but I was definitely smiling. And giggling. And awwing. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! This was funny and it reminded me our collie who would do the same thing! What is with those goofy dogs? Thanks for the smile and laugh.


ps. I posted anon because I can't remember my password. Dangit!

Brooke in WI

Anonymous said...

LOL, you should take pain pills more often! This post was a riot!!

Jeannelle said...

Great photo catch! Dogs and cats showing affection or whatever to each other. Our Australian Shepherds act similarly with certain cats on occasion......other cats are only for chasing!

Anonymous said...

Great post!! You're not crazy. Our late Border would do this, too. He loved cats. He used to herd the neighborhood stray and the stray would let himself get caught all so that they could have a "chat". Too cute!

olivia said...

Oh, that is fantastic! LOL ... I love it!

dlyn said...

I love this post - they look so happy together. I wish we could get some of that action here. Riley is fascinated with our visiting grand-kitty, but the kitty despises Riley with a hate that outshines a thousand burning suns. Every day he says to Riley: "you Ssssssssssssssssuck!"

Mental P Mama said...

Love it. And, that cat is no stray. It is yours.

Anonymous said...

Ummmm, we all know I do this kind of thing without any medication whatsoever...especially with food!

I thought it was perfect!

Sandra @ The Memory Workshop said...

ahhhh...at our house we call this the "cat scan". Very cute!

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

Your photos today made me chuckle. I loved the "conversation" that went with the photographs.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This is amazing, a cat who loves a dog but is afraid of people. I loved the photos. When Sebastian was still alive--cocker/golden lab mix with emphasis on the cocker--he would lick Pika--the white Persian--and she would look like she had a million little mohawks, her fur all spiked.

Egghead said...

Those are the cutest photos I have seen in a long time. Adorable. If taking a pain pill will help me get photos like this I am going to the Doctor.

Anonymous said...

There is no truth to the saying that dogs and cats don't get along. They always have at my house, too.

Bekah said...

No way! we have one of these relationships going on at my grandmothers, between Mabel (dog) and Miss Kitty(cat..obviously).

Its adorable.

Donna said...

Hi Kate,
I just found your blog while over at Mary's little red house. What wonderful stories and photos you have. George and SC are adorable together!
Hugs,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Just like at my house only we have shows. Two dogs, one big and one tiny and the cat. They all play with the cat. They all love each other and they put on several shows a day.

Sounds like you just named the no named cat. SC. Perfect. Keep up the pain pills.

Love,

FAVE BABE

Mary said...

Awwwwwwww...
xoxo,
Mary

Anonymous said...

honestly, Kate, when you find yourself thinking "that's not a good idea" you need a button, like the Staples EASY button, that you push that makes the idea spring into life.

because you were going to not post this?

I'm so annoyed at you for trying to keep this from all of us.

First, because it's frickin' ADORABLE and may I add ADORABLE??!!!

Second, because I need to copy the pictures and pin them up about the house to show my dog... THIS is how you treat the cat.

I loved it. Thank you! Kt (and thanks to the friends at work who straightened Kate out about um, sharing good stuff.)

Country Girl said...

Well, hello to four new visitors, Sandra @ the memory workshop, Beth from the Funny Farm, Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life and Donna. Beth, I think I've seen you here before . . .

You know, I had no idea that this post would be this popular. I had people coming up to me at school today and saying how cute it was. Here, I thought I was crazy. And Katie (I mean Kt) I know you're not really mad.

No idea that other people's dogs and cats canoogled like this. And I really am glad that I shared this with all of you now.

Dlyn, I hope that Riley finds a cat that he can share his dreams with like George. At least Riley gives an intelligent interview.

Deb said...

And who says they aren't communicating in this fashion. Who are we to judge? I'm sure the pain pill allowed you to channel George and cat's thoughts.
That's my story and i'm sticking to it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cathy said...

Oh my... This just made my day. I love that dog. So darn sweet!