Friday, April 18, 2008

Cherry trees are cheering me

In late April, the cherry trees begin to burst forth along the main farm road and for a couple of weeks, I can come home at the end of the day and be met by the cheerful, beautiful blossoms of three different types of cherry trees. Don't ask me what they are, but the tree blossoms shown here on this post always appear first. The other two types are still gearing up and will soon burst forth. But today it looks like this. Actually, Monday it looked like this because that's when I took these photos.
On a personal note, my knee is healing. Not as fast as I would have liked, but I'm walking more. And I'm rarely icing it anymore. No ibuprofen. Nary a pain pill. It's been 3 weeks today so you'd think I'd be much closer to being healed, but I'm getting there.
Today I have the day off from school. It was a scheduled 3-day weekend in April and this is one of the few years we've actually gotten to use it. We usually always had to give up this day due to snow day overflow from the winter. But not this year! And to make matters even better, it's the most beautiful spring day we've had. I have a couple of errands to run, but after that, the world is my oyster.
Sounds good, doesn't it? Actually I don't really have any plans other than to be outside doing something. With George.
Look for the Weekend Guessing Game to appear at 6 PM tonight. For some reason, I simply forgot last weekend and remembered at some point on Saturday. Sometimes I'm like that. I'm planning on remembering this week, and I actually already have a picture chosen. Still, you never know with me. I could forget again.
Today is also my mother's birthday. She passed away two summers ago. Happy Birthday, mom. Spring was my mother's favorite time of year (next to Christmas). I have a distinct memory of my mother when I was a very young girl. She was ironing and I was watching her and listening to her sing "Life is just a bowl of cherries . . . " and thinking to myself that this is what happy means. Hey, Char, do you think ironing made mom happy like it does you?

15 comments:

ABRAHAM LÓPEZ MORENO said...

Entre por casualidad en tu blog y me encontré con unas fotos interesantes. Espero seguir visitándote. Un cordial saludo desde "Panorámica Cazorlense"; considérala tu casa.

Country Girl said...

Well, welcome ALM. I don't speak Spanish, but luckily I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night and am able to translate this. I'm glad you found my blog by chance and I thank you for the compliments on my photographs. Warm greetings from my home to yours. Thanks for stopping by!

~ C.G.

Karen said...

Wow they are beautiful!

Treasia Stepp said...

Absolutely beautiful pictures today. I have never seen a cherry tree but it's gorgeous. I swear I think you have one of the most beautiful places on earth to live and I have no idea where it is. LOL. Loving your scenery pics.

Mary said...

Don't you just adore spring?! The cherries are beautiful. Ours won't open for another week, I think...

Have you seen this site?

http://www.dianevarner.com/

Stunning!!! Enjoy your day off. Take lots of pictures for us! :)
xoxo,
Mary

abb said...

I'm quite envious. Your photos are simply beautiful.

Do hope you enjoy good mom memories on the day of her birth. I'm sure you miss her.

Adios, amiga!

Shimmy Mom said...

What beautiful pictures. I think enjoying spring with George is the best plans I can think of. I hope that your knee feels 100% very soon.

Anonymous said...

*gasp* Your pictures literally took my breath away! Absolutely gorgeous!!!

I bet your mom loved (or is it would have) your gorgeous cherry blossoms.

Oh, and I like going here for "rough translations": http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Bekah said...

Oh wow, very pretty! For some reason I always thought cherry trees had white blossoms...but must have made that up! I think I'll have to go read up on cherry trees!!

anyway...lovely!

Kirstin said...

Beautiful pictures! I also love browsing Ree's site.

Have a great day

dlyn said...

So sorry about the loss of your Mom - I am glad that you have great memeories of her though. Ironing made my grandmother unbelievably happy too.

Do you get to eat the cherries? We are cherry-o-holics around here. When they are in season, we eat about a lb of them a day. It gets pretty pricey. I can't believe how gorgeously red the flowers are!

Country Girl said...

Thank you, everyone.

I just love seeing these trees every year. My husband tells me that they're actually a sort of crabapple and that the cherries are the lighter pink. We have pink dogwood, white dogwood, cherry and crabapple, plus an assortment of non-flowering trees. I always thought these were cherries, and I can't find them in the book.

And they're ornamental, so there aren't any berries. The lighter ones that just burst forth yesterday are the same ones that people flock to Washington DC to see. I'm a little north of there. I took pictures of them today and will post them soon.

And Treasia, I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

~ C.G.

Anonymous said...

Those are just GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing the pics. I don't think we have those around here. Well, they sure aren't blooming if we do. (hey, and you did remember the Guessing Game. Always full of surprises. Will she remember to post it or not? *g You keep us guessing in more ways than one ;-)

(we should petition blogger to give you guys fun, silly, smilies!)

Jeannelle said...

Wow, what an eyeful of beautiful color on this post!

My grandma loved to iron, and my mom did lots of it, too, when I was little. She would have me iron pillowcases and my dad's red handkerchiefs.

Glad to hear in the next post that your knee is steadily improving. Still, be sure not to overdo.

Egghead said...

Beautiful cherry blossoms and a lovely remembrance of your mother.