Sunday, January 20, 2008

I love these grasses

I noticed these grasses while I was driving down the farm driveway yesterday. I happened to have my camera with me, so I got out and took some photos. I love how graceful they look but had to wait untitl the breeze died down to take my shots. Behind me, I could hear the horses coming into the barn for the evening, their shoes clip-clopping along the floor. Today, the cold arrived, bringing high winds that have died down somewhat, but it's still blowing some out there. The temp is around 25, but the wind's making it feel much colder. The sun's out, though, and it's coming in the windows of my home and warming me up. Well, the sun and the cup of tea I have. It's all good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How pretty! They look like waves crashing upon a beach. :)

I wanted to tell you how handsome your Border is... makes me miss my best friend, Montana. He, too, was a Border Collie, but died 4 years ago. He had rage syndrome along with severe epilepsy. These dogs are just so special...

Country Girl said...

Thank you. I love our little pup. We've always had Borders and like you, our beloved Ralph died two Christmases ago. It took this long to move forward and get another best friend.
And you're right, these do look like waves! I hadn't noticed that before.
Thanks for stopping by again.

Anonymous said...

There's a fern these grasses remind me of too. I can't remember the name exactly, but it's either Fiddle Fern or Fiddler Fern or something like that. I love the roundness of nature.

Anonymous said...

I love these grasses! What are they?

Country Girl said...

I really don't know exactly what sort of ornamental grasses these are. I've lived here for years and am trying to remember what they looked like before they turned brown and curled up. I want to say that they're zebra grass, but they might be switch grass.

Anonymous said...

Sister,

There is a fern that grows in the forest and when the first shoot out of the ground, they are called fiddle heads and they are actually edible. One of the not so many things I learned on some grade school nature hikes.

Hope that helps...

Kate, you are fantastic at this. Really, you are becoming more and more animated, interesting and fun.

Love, your favorite baby sis.